Punting a Hornet's Nest - Glock 30, 36, or Taurus PT-145TI?

Big Al

Okay, I know I'm probably gonna stir things up with this one -

I've been in the market for a CC .45; after hearing all the good things about the rompin' stompin' 45ACP I've decided to give it a try.

For me, beautiful is as beautiful does. I'm only interesed in guns that I can use, not pretty showpieces or target/IDPA gems. My beloved Glock 19 has been with me for years now, and has never let me down. I wouldn't give it up for anything. My Kel-Tec P-32 is fast becoming my "always gun", and my new Ruger 22/45 recently amazed me with its accuracy and reliability. If I'm going to have a 45, I want it to be something I can use.

My first choice is the Glock 30. Full legal capacity, uncountable rave reviews from TFLers, Glock advantages (durability, reliability, simplicity, etc). Downsides: high price, fat grip, no smaller than my 19, and the mags look funny.

Second would be the 36. Same Glock advantage, thinner and easier to conceal, and seems to have a good following. Downsides: even more expensive than the 30, still has about the same dimensions as my 19, and the slim grip costs you 40% of the mag capacity from a 30. The mags still look funny; takes away from the clean industrial lines of a Glock.

I've recently been looking at the Taurus "Milennium" PT-145 in either stainless or TI. Seems to be a whole lot smaller than either the 30 or 36, and would probably cost a good bit less. Also has the full legal capacity (10+1), and Taurus has a lifetime warranty and will pay your NRA dues. Downsides: ITS NOT A GLOCK ITS NOT A GLOCK ITS NOT A GLOCK, I've heard the trigger REALLY sucks, and I've heard the reliability/durability can be questionable (to be nice).

What are your opinions/experiences with these pistols? I'm really interested in hearing about the Taurus, because I've been reading Glock 30/36 threads for the last two hours. :-)

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

AL

I'm looking at the same situation only more complicated. I'm also looking at the .357Sig and I'm in California, which means I have to choose from the CADOJ approved list. How about ParaOrd D12.45SR which is their double action series? Only down side is it weighs 34oz. I use a 26 now and want a .45 or a .357Sig and/or another .357 Mag. SA .45s like the Kimber are so expensive that I've almost talked myself into the 30. I've been researching Taurus and there are not a lot of happy campers for the autos but I have been looking at a revolver, 627Ti, 4" .357 7shot 24oz. Not on the list yet though. The best I've been able to do here is Ca. for the 30 is just shy of $600 with night sights. MWT

I'm looking at the same situation only more complicated. I'm also looking at the .357Sig and I'm in California, which means I have to choose from the CADOJ approved list. How about ParaOrd D12.45SR which is their double action series? Only down side is it weighs 34oz. I use a 26 now and want a .45 or a .357Sig and/or another .357 Mag. SA .45s like the Kimber are so expensive that I've almost talked myself into the 30. I've been researching Taurus and there are not a lot of happy campers for the autos but I have been looking at a revolver, 627Ti, 4" .357 7shot 24oz. Not on the list yet though. The best I've been able to do here is Ca. for the 30 is just shy of $600 with night sights. MWT

Have a 30 & a 21. Dislike the 30 as it does not fit my fairly large hand well. Very hard to index to a good firm grip. To temper that, the 21 fits just about perfect. Have fired the 30 back-to-back with a friends new 36 with the same ammo. The 36 is just as accurate as my well broken-in 30 if not more so. The kick & muzzle flip are noticably more and it seems much slower to come down to the next sight picture. That obviously could be "startle response", etc. The 36 owner didn't think much of it himself. On the other hand the 36 is 1/4 lb. lighter than the 30....empty. 3 or 4 friends have 36's, all have no problem with that mentioned above and like the 36 for its CCW slimness. One went from a Kimber CDP to the 36.

I have seen an ad about that new Taurus too. I am interested in hearing any and all feedback concerning this CC .45 :)

IMO if the grip of the G30 bothers you to a significant extent, go with the G36 and I wouldn't worry about the "missing" 4 rounds - people risk their lives every day on 5 shots of .38 Special, .357 Magnum, .44 Special, etc... With 6+1 quality hollowpoints, it should serve well in practically any civilian situation.

A backup magazine should provide you with plenty enough shots to get you away from a serious situation or to a long gun.

I'm not so sure on the Taurus...

Stay away from the Taurus

I had a Taurus PT 140 and I was very underwhelmed with it so I traded it off. The trigger is long, heavy, and gritty. The sights are cheap plastic, non-adjustable and I don't think anyone makes after market ones. I fired ten rounds and decided I didn't like it. Out of the ten rounds, 3 failed to fire (light primer strikes) but my USP had no problem with those same rounds. I have no experience with the PT 145 but since it is essentialy the same design I would think that it would perform the same.

FYI

If you think the G30 mags are ugly, you can get
factory flush-fit 9 rounders too. They can also accept
Pearce extentions. Not too many places carry them,
but I bought 2 at http://www.Glockmeister.com a while back.

I don't know if 5 round flush fit mags are available
for the G36 yet.

HTH

Step away from the Taurus.

I (my wife, actually) had a Millenium in 9mm...it had to have been one of the crappiest guns even built. We were sorely dissatisfied, and continued to be after two trips to the factory to fix an ejection problem.

As I'm not a Glock fan at all, understand the importance of what I say here...get the Glock. If those pistols are your choices, and the requirements are as stated, just get the Glock.

Coming from a non-Glock fan, that should mean a lot...#1 the Glock works, and #2 The Taurus Milennium line sucks.

My only experience with the PT-111 was last week at the gun shop. Some guy, and his wife were buying one. The salesman behind the counter, whom I know to be very knowledgeable about a lot of guns, from Glocks to Lugers, had to get the gunsmith to come out and show these folks how to field strip the beast!!! God, what a pain!!! Just watching the process filled my soul with confusion, and I own a Ruger MK-II!!!!!!!!;) If the PT-145 is anything like it's 9MM brother, then forget it!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Back