pump strength

Bezoar

here is a question, i dont like my 870 in 20 quage. been thinking about getting a barrel liner and having it chambered in a normal rifle round.

What id like to know is, what is the locking lug on the 870 actually able to stand up to?

stoeger coach guns can use the one in 45-70 or 30-06..

20 gauge pressure are typically about 11,000 psi, give or take about 1000. That said, 20 gauge-SIZED SxS frames are what are typically used for DG rifles up to 375 H&H, but they are more like a sized frame built to handle the rifle rounds that just so happen to fit the shotgun barrels - sort of like The Judge

Welllllllll-----------
You have a lot more to consider than just the strength of the action (which would not be strong enough for high powered rifle rounds as a rule anyway)

First, how would you go about making it feed and extract and eject?

The feed system is not going to work with anything smaller than the head of your 20 gauge unless you do a total rebuild on it.
The extractor will not reach a smaller round
The ejector will not work with a smaller round
Such work is perhaps possible but it will cost WAY more than a new Remington M7600 rifle. So you'd be way ahead to just buy the pump rifle.

+ 1 to all of the above .....its a bad idea.

If you don't like the shotgun for the use you intended - sell it --- and buy something else that will do what you want it to do, in my opinion.

Sell/trade the 870 for a similar Remington 860/8600/Model 6 pump/slide action rifle.

[EDIT] My bad :o - I meant to type "760, 7600, & Model 6.

Last edited:
the inserts come with the ejector/extractor built in.

the most honest price that anyone will give me, because its not a tactical shotgun, would barely pay for one of those police trade in taurus model 83s.

Sell/trade the 870 for a similar Remington 860/8600/Model 6 pump/slide action rifle.

The only pump rifle that I'm aware of, currently in production, is the Remington 7600. (Discounting the repros of the Colt Lightning)

Thank you, for calling my attention to my typing error, PawPaw.......:cool:

(BTW - the OP didn't specify new or used)

Thank you, for calling my attention to my typing error, PawPaw.......

I thought I had missed a new pump rifle. I was clicking all over the intertubes, trying to find a new pump Model 6. Then I got my lip 'pooched out' when I realized what had happened.

I love pump rifles and the current crop of Remington 7600s seem to be very accurate. I'm always on the lookout for one in the used gun racks.

This is a Remington Model Six:

e6548e831902c27856a7adb8ca1547a1.jpg

Remington inlaid the chambering's casehead in the Model Six pump rifle's receiver bottom - similarly to the way the cace head was inlaid in the LH receiver wall of the much earlier Model 14 & M141 Pumps.

366417_02_remington_model_six_30_06_pump_640.jpg

PO ackley rebarreled a 1897 winchester 12ga pump action with a 3006 barrel and the action held it with no problems,tho it was a single shot.eastbank.

What id like to know is, what is the locking lug on the 870 actually able to stand up to?

stoeger coach guns can use the one in 45-70 or 30-06..

Two very different mechanical designs. One designed for shotgun shell type of pressures, the other sharing a design with double rifles. One major aspect to consider is metallurgy and how long such a conversion would hold up. 1 shot or 2 you probably wouldn't see an issue, 100 or 200, maybe more, do you want to be holding a potential hand grenade in your hands ?

Do you like your fingers ? Last year at the Quigley (for those of you that don't know, the Quigley is a shooting match based on the film Quigley Down Under, with targets reminiscent of the shots taken during the film and shot with period type BPCR rifles, at ranges extending to 1000 yds IIRC). So last year at the Quigley a woman was shooting a gun that had been chambered up for a cartridge it was never intended for. She had shot it for 18 years, however at the Quigley the action let loose.

Luckily there were actual physicians that shoot BPCR present that quickly attended to her. It took 7 1/2 hours in surgery to save her fingers and hand.

She still hasn't regained full usage of her thumb.

The moral of my diatribe ? If you want a rifle, sell the shotgun and buy a rifle.

Back