Pump Shotgun Question

Nightcrawler

I was looking at a Norinco shotgun in the Gun Store. It has this little switch on the trigger guard that you need to push before the slide will come back. Here are my questions.

Do all shotguns have this feature? I hear mossbergs do not.

What is it for?

Do you have to do that each time you want to rack the slide, or just the first time, or what?

Thanks in advance. :)

Pump actions are locked when the internal hammer is cocked to prevent the gun from potentially firing out of battery. When the gun is fired the hammer is forward and simply pumping the action is all that is required. All pump actions have them an action release of somesort although not all are in the same place. Winchesters have the action release on the rear right hand side of the trigger guard. I can't immediately recall where the release is on a Mossberg as it has been a while since I've handled one.

Battler:

I stand corrected. I said right side because I just picked up a Winchester and looked at it from the bottom. From the shooting postion, the action release is on the left.

Paul

The Norinco Model 982, the Model 98 with Ghost Rings and an 18.5" Cylinder Barrel, is an almost 100% clone of the Remington 870. Internal parts interchange 100% as do most stocks. I say almost because the magazine tube holds 5 shells, rather than 4 shells like the 870 (without an extension, of course). The action release is on the left front.

I think Nightcrawler was looking at an earlier Norinco model, many of which were Ithaca 37 inspired. Here's a hopefully infallible test assuming it was indeed an Norinco. What side was the ejection port on?
If its on the right, its an 870 clone.
If it is bottom eject, Ithaca 37.

Of course Norinco had to muddle this by releasing a Winchester 97 clone, which has right side eject and no visible action release.

Back