pump rifles

tahoe2

besides a 22 gallery gun I had as a kid, I never had a pump rifle ,that is until last saturday.
I picked up a Savage model 170 in 30-30 winchester, haven't shot it yet, loaded up some 130's & 150's and will shoot this weekend!

interesting

I've seen a handful of those rifles just lately, but everyone was a beater.

DOn't know about the durability or reliability of the 170, but a pump .30-30 would make a fair utility rifle. Ammo is common, a moderate increase in punch over x39 ammo, and more easily scoped then an SKS or a traditional top eject Wincherster.

Supposedly, they made some carbine 170's, but I've never seen one.

I admit an affinity for pump firearms, either old shotguns or rifles. Odd, that. Lots of folks look a bit askance when I uncase another pump, but then they come over and ask questions about it.

Good luck with yours. I passed on one in the used racks a couple of years ago, left the gun store, then went back the next day. They had sold it the afternoon I passed on it. I've been kicking myself ever since.

Don't feel bad about passing on a 170 . They weren't much of a gun to start with . Now that they are obsolete and there's no parts stream to support them , I'd pass too . They are a PITA to work on , due to being so cheaply built . I had one in .35 Rem. about 30 years ago , I upgraded to a Rem 760 , first chance I got .

Would have to agree with oneoldsap. I worked on a fair number of these in the 70s and 80s and they did test your patience. Savage tried to make the shotgun designed action adapt to the rifle cartridge. Kind of like what GM tried to do at that time when they tried to make a gas engine into a diesel and put it in a car. Did not work to well. Like oneoldsap said, good luck with parts.

bighickery

The Savage 170 retailed for $99.99 as a new rifle in 1973. For comparison, a Marlin 336 sold for $129.00. The 170 was cheaply constructed but very accurate due to headspacing and free floating barrel.

I'm certain the Savage 170 is a worthy companion in the deer woods.

Jack

Never owned one but have been fortunate to borrow a couple of Remington 760s and its on my "find a bargain in a pawn shop" list.

Some are good, some aren't. Even among the 760s.

I owned a 760 that was a dog and swapped it off. Inherited my Dad's. Tackdriver. Both .30-06.

Shot my first deer with a Savage 170 .30-30 with peep sights. Great little guns, and very accurate! Just remember, when you shuck the empty, do it hard, don't baby the pump handle, work it foward just as hard, or you may get a failure to feed.

IMI Timberwolf, .357 magnum.

P5120173.jpg

Had a Remington 760 chambered in .35 Rem. I left it at home with my folks when I was I'm the service and, unfortunately, have no idea what ever happened to it. It had a very smooth action and I really liked the detachable magazine. Wish I still had it.

Back