Puerto Rico Revamps Restrictive Gun Laws to Acknowledge (barely) Second Amendment

According to Dave Kopel, Puerto Rico is revamping its restrictive gun laws to comply with the rulings in Heller and McDonald.

In the process, they are helping to create really obscene laws regarding firearms use that should prove a rich trove of 2A litigation. The new proposed Puerto Rico changes include:

1. A requirement that shooting ranges keep logs of how many rounds of ammunition their members fire and limit target practice to 500 rounds per year.

2. Require gun clubs to log the quantity and caliber of ammunition used by every shooter.

3. Limit the quantity of firearms a person can take to a gun club.

I'm surprised that Puerto Rico thinks that limiting the amount of practice a person can have with a firearm is going to result in LESS firearms injuries.

What exactly does Puerto Rico enjoy in the form of our civil rights? I understand it's different from the ConUS. Would they have a basis for claiming the Second Amendment rights?

Puerto Rico is part of the United States, so the US constitution fully applies there, in theory. In practice, PR is quite used to getting the short end of the stick when it comes to rights and representation.

At one point I thought about retiring to Puerto Rico but with the high crime I am reconsidering. Maybe just have to stick with Florida. I don't like the idea of living somewhere where I have to have a permit just to keep a gun in my own home.

Back