PTX: Useful? Necessary?

Swifty Morgan

I finally got my old Hornady Lock-n-Load press running again. It has been a long time, and I see now they are using PTX devices. Is this something I need? When I got my press, I don't think they existed. So far, I'm only reloading pistol rounds.

What is the advantage of PTX expander? Does it make the press easier to run?

When I had a 3 station Lee press, I used a powder thru expander and it worked well. Now with my Hornady LNL AP, I do not use one. I currently use a separate expander die, I find it much easier to adjust to the exact amount of case flare that I want.

The obvious advantage is that two operations are done in only one station of the press. Does it make it easier to run? I doubt it, but that's just my opinion.

I wonder why they're popular. I can put three dies plus a powder measure and a PTX on this press. I'm not running out of room. Is it to make room for an automatic case feed?

Usually, you use a powder-through expander when you intend to drop the powder at the top of the expanding press stroke to save dispensing as a separate step or using a separate station for powder dispensing. A number of measures are operated by the expanding step. If you don't care about freeing up a station for a powder check die or something along those lines, there's nothing else to be gained from using one that I can see.

The only reason to use one is if you need an empty station for a powder check die or something else.
I don't like them and quit using them because the ptx usually sticks in the case and makes the press not near as smooth to operate.

I use resizing die in station 1, M-die in station 2, powder measure in station 3, powder check die in station 4, and seat and crimp in station 5.

If I wanted to seat and crimp in two different stations I would have to use my ptx again and move powder measure to station 2, powder check to 3, seat in 4 and crimp in 5.

So depending on how you want to run your press and if you want to seat and crimp, say, lead bullets in two different steps, you may need to use a ptx.

Sometimes they are a necessary evil but I don't like them.

Back