PTSD and gun rights

Jump boot

Please clear the matter of the right to own firearms if you were a veteran and have a percentage of disability for PTSD.I know of many old soldiers from wars such as Vietnam who hunt,handload and shoot for hobby.They have been diagnosed with PTSD but are worried that this may be a problem with owning firearms of any kind.Layman terms appriciated.

What is PDST? My cousin was 5 years in Viet Nam. He had been an "A" Engineer student, but suddenly quit and joined up. He became very serious about the importance of winning over there. The pullout really bothered him.

He spent a lot of time meditating in his grandfathers (my uncles) cabin in the rugged Oregon Cascades. He sort of became one of the legendary Viet Nam vets living in the Oregon wilds. His philosophy of life was no longer main stream.

So how would the authorities evaluate him? Dangerous?

PTSD = Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Shell Shock or any of it's other forms. It's a mental disorder resulting from combat situations.

From my armchair preacher stand point, people diagnosed with this are in danger of losing their rights as firearm owners. Brady bunch has constantly been pushing for those with a hint of mental instability to be banned from owning firearms. Their statement is something to the effect of 'We don't need diagnosed psychopaths buying guns legally.' Sounds all good and dandy, everyone signs up for the idea. But in actual wording, they've been pushing it far enough to ban people who have seen a shrink one time for depression (depression is a mental disorder). If you've ever had a perscription for any sort of psycological condition, I'd be watching the news very carefully.

I don't really know how to explain my opinion. I don't trust diagnosed bi-polars who own guns, since a single missed dose of medication can throw them off the deep end. But I'm fine with the OP's example of veterans who were a bit shaken after a war. Combat is some scary stuff, and if we trust servicemen with full auto 'assault weapons', then Mr. Montana man with a deer rifle (or even CCW) is just fine in my book. I'm just not sure how I feel about the liberal stance to universally ban all people who've ever needed Prozac.

Back