PT Night Sights

The_Huntman

Iwas wonderin gwhat everyone thought of these sights. I was thinking of the night sights and saw they were only about $55.00n I know this is alot less than Novak, Wilson, etc. Pros or Cons....?

I use PT night sights almost exclusively on my guns. On many I have Novak sights, but they have all been sent to PT to have the tritium inserts added. I prefer the 3-dot green/orange combo, whereas the Texas DPS use the 3-dot green/red combo. It is all a matter of personal preference.

Just finished dealing with these folks....

Sent a slide to have tritium inserts put in the Novaks that were already on board. The folks there called me and told me that the amount of metal in the newer style Novak rear sights wouldn't allow them to install them. I had them just put on the PT sights, three dot set up. The gunsmith there said that I probably would not like the PT as well as the Novak shape. He was right. They were, to my eye, ugly. Worse....the sight picture was not as crisp. The back of the PT sight needs something, I don't know what. The PT folks offered to open up the rear notch and serrate the rear sight, free of charge. I was sort of afraid of this, so I had them just put a bar in the lower portion of my Novak, so I have a three dot and bar now, with the bar-dot tritium set up. They did that free, and I sent them back the PT sight. They would have installed it for free, too, but I didn't want to be without the gun. Original turn-around was less than a week, they give LEO's a speed and price break. The main thing was, they were always quite friendly and helpful with phone and E-mail contacts, gave quick service, and seemed a lot more interested in me being satisfied than in making a buck. Quality of the sight? Don't know yet, but even the folks who have had a problem with them say the warranty work is hassle free.

Love 'em.

I have them on just about every gun I own that needs night sights.

Never had a problem.

Have PT sights in Bar/Dot config for two of my Glocks. I have no problem with them, and like the others mentioned, they were very good people to deal with.

I have the three-dot green on my Glock 23. I really like the way the new PT design for the Glock rear sight extends the line of sight. It is similar to a novak or bomar design.

So far it has been great. You do have to try your mind to look for three horizontal dots in the dark. However, one of the gunsmiths at the factory told me during a recent visit that the greens can still be distinguished amidst the orange, red and yellow gases released from muzzle flash.

We tried Pt Nightsights on our department. They were a big failure! The tritium capsules were dim upon purchase,those that weren't burned out within a year. The overall quality were poor. Perhaps they have improved. However the Texas Department of Public Safety recently had them replaced! They were under warranty, but that's not too good when they have to be replaced within 4 years.Once again perhaps they have improved. I hope so because we like to business with companies within our own state. But we don't like to waste money either.

P-T rear sights are intentionally loaded one third less bright than the front sights. This way even if you choose 3 green dots there is at least some contrast. There is still not enough differentiation for me, which is why I use the green/orange combo. The lenses are plastic and will dissolve with some solvents so if you soak your gun in a bucket of Dunk-it to clean it stay away from the P-T sights.

The way i understand it...

...is that ALL tritium lamps (the capsules that contain the tritium gas) are made and supplied by ONE source.......... so, if this is true, the only way to "make" them brighter would be to put a lens in front of them thereby "enlarging or magnifying the picture of brightness"... and basically the only way to make them "dimmer" is to put a filter in front of the lamp thereby blocking the transmission of some of the light, (and also a way to change the color of the light transmitted)... or... to put old "spent" lamps in and call them new. Tritium lamps should last for a good 12+ years... before needing replacement. I have Trijicons that are about 10 years old now and are still bright enough. If the lamps are bright when you buy them and then go dim or dark within a year or 2, or just plain go dark "in a hurry", then more than likely the lamps have become cracked and the tritium gas has leaked out.

Back