PSS versus Light Tactical

Mike Baugh

I am wanting a new toy and and would like to hear from anyone that has shot both of these rifles and can sway me to one or the other . Most of my shooting will be at 250 yards or less . Thanks , Mike...

I'd go with the Light Tactical because of size and weight. You can carry it longer and be less tired when it's time to shoot. For shots 300 yards or less, it's just as good as the PSS. In the hands of a good rifleman, it will shoot as well as the PSS up to 600 yards. Afterwards, the PSS with its longer barrel has the advantage.

I had a chance to shoot a LTR at a 100 m gong. No, not very challenging but fun nevertheless...

It was visually tough for me to get over the large troughs milled into the barrel but I found a rifle with a 20" fluted barrel is a delight to handle. Eventhough Remington rifle stocks don't fit me very well, I think I would be a satisfied owner of a LTR.

I have recently heard the LTR is discontinued due to problems with feeding and the magazine. I also heard of a slightly different LTR, called I think, the Tactical Light Tactical Rifle- a 20" non fluted barrel with standard BDL bottom metal... anyone else?

Lastly Mike, I noticed your stainless Remington BDL DM in .308 for sale on this site. You have the basis for a most excellent rifle. Throw the DM stock away and get a McMillan. Order some BDL internal short action magazine parts and bottom metal in SS from Remington, and have one of the premium barrel makers screw on a stainless 20" fluted barrel. Heavy matte bead blast the whole thing dark grey and top it off with a Leupold Long Range 4.5-14x 50mm scope. This should take care of anything within 300 yards of you or farther.

DeBee , I thought about converting my 700 but the work would cost more than just buying the new rifle , plus I want to pick up a 300 mag for longer range so I thought I would sell my rifle and buy 2 new ones . The rifle I have now is the best shooting bolt gun I have ever owned but I want a more politically incorrect looking rifle . The only thing that worries me is that the PSS/LTR will not match my rifle in accuracy . Thanks , Mike...

My local dealer claims Remington has changed their policy and made the 700P (PSS) and the LTR as law enforcement only. Any truth to his claim?

m3bullet , I have heard this was coming and along with the new locking safety features gun makers are starting to incorporate I figured I had better hurry up and buy one . I have found 2 local dealers with LTR's but no PSS's . I just want to make sure I buy the best all around rifle , if the 20" tube will do the job just as well I will probably go with it . Thanks , Mike...

I have the LTR in .308 w/Iron brigade scope mount and Leupold vari x II. That rifle will keep a 10" group at 700 yds if the marksman does his job. Go with a BDL instead of a DM if you can.

Save your money if you are going to buy a PSS. Buy a VS or a VLS. The actions and barrels in the varminter series is the exact same as the PSS. From my understanding most people don't even use the factory stock anyway, so spend $600 out the door on a Remington VLS, ditch the stock and buy a nice new stock for about $100 less than the PSS. Only bad part about the LVS is it is in a gloss type finish. The VS has a matt finish though. I just bought a VS in .308 and I like it a lot. Very accurate for some distance. I have made some good shots with it out to 4-5 hundred yards and very consistant shots on poor squirrels out to 150 yards. The only reason I haven't got em out further is because I haven't had as much time as I would like to go play!

Back