+Ps in a taurus titanium?

• Thread starter Thread starter Bugsy
  • Start date Start date
B

Bugsy

I know some of the S&W titanium snubbies are +P rated.
Im just curious if the Taurus 85 UL titanium is +P rated.
Also, any thoughts on these titanium snubbies would be appreciated.

Dear Bugsey,
Yes they are! That is the whole reason for using titanium! :) Lite weight and strength.
They kick like mules though,especially in the large calibers like .41 and .357 mag. Taurus designed a whole new grip for the weapon to compensate for this. I hear that it works quite well!! :cool: They are QUITE pricy though!!!! So much so that I bought the regular blued M85. Standard pressure .38 spl's will do what I want,thank you :) My M85 is used for deep carry, or backup to my primary carry weapon.

------------------
Just as there is no such thing as too much fun,
there is no such thing as owning just one gun!!!

Now, go do the right thing, and buy that Walther!!

Actually these snubbies seem to be very well planned out. Titanium is light and won't rust.

By having the cylinder latch not at the end of the extractor rod, but into the frame below the forcing cone, Taurus has solved one of the big snubbie problems. Usually that extractor rod is just too short and the cases will stick, forcing you to toss them the rest of the way out by hand.
Now Taurus has a full length extractor on a 2-1/2" barrel!

On the other hand the porting scares me. Snubbies are primarily a close-range gun, not that they can't be shot accurately out to 50 yards if you do your job. Still if I point shoot at close range, or shoot from retention, what are the chances that I'm going to get a powder or gas blast in the face? (Not to mention that the snubbie bark is going to be even worse than normal) I've heard of comped guns fired close to the body blowing the glasses off someone's face.

Maybe Taurus will make one without the porting. With the right grip muzzle flip can be handled especially for someone with strong hands and forearms.

It's been a long time since I've shot a Taurus revolver. I know that the action is different from a S&W. Has anyone had recent experience? How tunable is the Taurus action by a good pistolsmith?

What about accuracy out of a Titanium barrel(lined with stainless steel to hold rifling)? So many questions?

What about velocities from these snubby's in larger calibers such as .44 special or .45 colt? Is 6 to 700 fps from a .45 colt enough to stop a BG ? What would be the recommended loads for carry defense from these calibers?

OK, since someone was kind enough to bring this topic up, I have a question: Has anyone actually laid hands on a Titanium Taurus in .41 Magnum? I have seen and handled these little beasties in .44 Special and .45 Colt, but have not seen a .41 Mag. Did they drop the .41 before they hit the streets? Inquiring minds want to know....

------------------
Mossyrock
Curmudgeon In Training

Thanks alot for the replies to posting, this was my first post & got some good info.
Ive ordered a Taurus 85 UL Ti w/a concealed hammer to use as backup for a duty P220.

Frank
(btw, i really like this forum, ill be checking it often)

Back