PRVI Partisan FMJ HPBT .308 Ammo. Opinions/experience?

Pond James Pond

PRVI Partisan FMJBT .308 Ammo. Opinions/experience?

My standard training ammo, Norma 150gr FMj jatkmatch ammo has gone up in price at a rate reminiscent of its muzzle velocity. €1 a round before, €1.20 now.

Still cheaper than other .308 ammo from a decent brand, and Norma brass is decent too.

However, one shop sells PRVI Partisan .308 FMJs for €0.90 a pop! That is quite a saving.

So, what are these rounds like in terms of consistency, quality and brass (fro subsequent reloading)?

This is 100m trigger work. 300m could be an option later at the same range, but not a deal-breaker.

Thanks.

Last edited:
I use Privi .223 with 69 grain HPBT for long range and it's good enough for what I require. Brass is not on the top end but it's better than something like S&B. I'd rate it in the same class as white box Winchester or blue box Federal.
If the .308 is similar, it should be more than adequate for 100m shooting.

Great news. I may go and buy a box of 50 to see how they handle.

The only thing that is especially good about the Norma rounds is that the brass is of a decent variety and I can happily reuse it. But as I said, the extra €0.30 per shot can amount to some decent sums for brass anyway...

This is just my thoughts, If Norma is your standard, I would think everything would pale by comparison.:D

I've shot various different cartridges of Prvi Partizan ammo off and on for around 5 years now. Majority in surplus military rifles, but a fair amount in my other rifles. Do not expect match grade ammo results with it when it comes to accuracy. Have shot a few boxes of their match 6.5x55 and 308W and it was more consistent/accurate than their standard ammo.

I reload. Prvi brass is decent. Occassionally have found some of the brass to be on the hard side, needing annealing for reloading. But this was not a common problem with it. I seem to get a fair amount of reloads out of the brass.

Here in the states, a supplier called Graf and Sons seems to stock all the offerings of Prvi.....ammo, brass and bullets. I don't hesitate to buy their brass, low priced and as I've mention decent quality. Can't recall ever throwing away a piece of new Prvi brass after inspecting it. Can't say that for Remington or Winchester brass. I've tried a few different calibers of their bullets and wasn't too impressed when it came to accuracy with them. Recall a post from a Western European gent who participated in competition shooting. Commented something to the effect that you don't want to use their bullets....just not accurate/consistent enough for serious shooters.

The only factory rounds I have been able to find on occasion for my MAS 49/56 is PRVI 7.5x54 French, and it shot great. I do reload for this round so keep the brass, and it works fine for that also. I have shot 9x19, and .380 PRVI and it was fine range ammo.

Once in the shop I noticed that they had 150gr SP ammo for €0.83. That is almost a third off the Norma round price.

I bought a box of 20. This will allow me to practice for about the same price as reloaded ammo. These should be accurate enough out to 100yds.

Once I have found my load recipe and am making my own rounds in a regular fashion, I need only buy the Norma occasionally to get my brass stocks back up.

Hope to find out after christmas.

When I got a .243 a couple of years ago, I bought some Federal ammo and some Prvi because I had heard good things about the Prvi and it was cheaper than even the Federal std. The Prvi grouped right along with the Federal and in reloading I can't find any difference in the brass.

Now, for the difference in cost, I would certainly hope the Norma brass would be better but I'm certainly not afraid to fire the Privi with their bullets or with my reloads.

I check online and it seems that the PRVI 150gr'ers are 100fps faster than the Norma version so, being zero'd for the Norma rounds and assuming the BC is similar, I expect a high POI compared to POA.

" I expect a high POI compared to POA"
Maybe or maybe not. A change in bullet shape or minor velocity change sometimes has little effect on POI. I've seen several 30 caliber rifles that would group different bullet weights together. One 30/06 I had shot the same POI with 110 and 180 which was about 5" higher than the POI of 125/150.

My only experience with Prvi is in .303 British, but it constitutes about 90% of my brass, and if you are intending to keep it to reload you should have no problems with it quality-wise. Accuracy is acceptable, though an SMLE with factory irons is probably not the best judge. The advertised (SORRY, should read ACTUAL) muzzle velocity is a little down on milspec. The cases appear to have been well-annealed before leaving the factory. Both depriming and repriming are routine - there is no primer crimp to remove.

Different guns like different stuff when it comes time for the primer to go off, but based on prior experience, I would happily accept a bag of Prvi brass as substitute for any other brand I've used (Remington, Federal, S&B).

Back