Prozac, the missing link?

tobeat1

Hey guys, I heard somewhere that there was one thing in common with the school shootings, I do not know if this has been addressed on this forum before, so please be patient with me. The way I understand it is that all of the youths that have been involved have been on some sort of saratonin (I hope I spelled that right) modifier. ie. Prozac, Ritalin, Paxel, etc. I have not heard a word of this in the news. Can somebody out there lend some credence to this information?

------------------
"peace, love, joy, and happiness..."

Prozac was prescribed to several perpetrators in the highly publicized mass shootings of the late '80s and '90s. However, a heck of a lot of people received prescriptions for Prozac, both then and now.

Let's face it, most of the perpetrators in these events were not simply depressed and then sent over the edge by their medication. Many had a long history of serious psychiatric dysfunction and even multiple hospitalizations. The most plausible theory that I've seen suggests that many of the perpetrators were receiving a real witch's brew of drugs with little knowledge and/or regard of possible interactions. The doctors involved were hoping that one or a combination of drugs would eventually 'stick'. Instead, the patients finally snapped.

The CDC has been busy trying to stop the spread of just this question. This is from the Denver Post, www.denverpost.com search the columbine links on the right of the page.
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Board to soften drug resolution
By Peter G. Chronis
Denver Post Staff Writer

Nov. 11 - Members of the State Board of Education indicated Wednesday they would soften a resolution about the use of psychiatric drugs by schoolchildren. A vote on the resolution is expected at today's meeting of the panel.

Mental-health advocates appeared before the board Wednesday to counter a presentation last month by people who claim use of psychotropic drugs causes school violence. On Tuesday, similar allegations about the medications were voiced before an informal gathering of state senators and representatives.

Mental-health advocates see the latest developments as a new phase in a long-standing assault on psychiatry with strong ties to the Church of Scientology.

Board member Gully Stanford urged a change in the resolution to declare that the "state board recognizes there is much concern regarding the issues of diagnosis, medication and the impact on student achievement'' instead of the earlier version, which warned of "highly negative consequences'' of using psychiatric drugs.

Parents of children diagnosed with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder and the medical and psychiatric communities have been alarmed by the attack on the use of medications, such as Ritalin, often prescribed to help schoolchildren function.

Dr. William Dodson, assistant professor of psychiatry at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, told the education panel that while the arguments they heard last month might sound convincing, "they were not arguments based on fact. They were not arguments based on scientific proof. They were not arguments that were true.''

Dodson refuted claims that ADHD is not a disease, noting that the American Medical Association recognizes the disorder.

Dodson blamed Scientology for creating a phony issue about the use of the medications by branding it "mind control.''

Drugs shown to help kids

Studies show the medications help children succeed in school and in life, and develop "positive selfesteem,'' Dodson said.

In a related matter, board member Patti Johnson cited an example of a parent pressured to either put a child on medication or take the child out of McGlone Elementary School in Denver.

John Leslie, head of student services for Denver Public Schools, said medication is "always a medical decision,'' and neither school nurses nor school officials recommend any medications to parents. They may, however, provide information about a student's behavior or performance.

Similarly, Betty Fitzpatrick, director of health services for the Jefferson County School District, said that "it isn't practice in our district or in any district to coerce parents into going to doctors and getting prescriptions for Ritalin. There's no policy around this because there is no need.'' In some situations, she said, a teacher may recommend that a parent have further evaluations of a child.

Push against drugs not new

Meantime, Matthew Cohen of Chicago, president of Children and Adults with Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder, said the push against the use of the drugs isn't new, but it has become more public. "The thing that's different is a public body gave people promoting it a forum to share their views,'' he said.

Curiously, he said, the issue is being brought up at a time when the U.S. Department of Education has recognized ADHD as a valid condition, and the Centers for Disease Control also is focusing on the disorder.[/quote]

------------------
CCW for Ohio action site.
http://www.ofcc.net
Do what you C.A.N.
http://thematrix.acmecity.com/digital/237/can.html

There was a woman in Connecticut a few months ago that hacked up her children with no prior history of violence or hospitilization.

Guess what she was on.

Hard to say what effect Prozac or anything else has to do with violent acts. Let's just say that if that's where the debate shifted, the Pharm companies, the AMA and the whole medical establishment would probably collectively scream "its the guns!!!" (they already do it anyway) to divert attention.
And how about the 30,000 or so deaths that occur each year from prescription meds (suicides, accidental OD's, bad combos, allergic reactions).

And they say guns are bad.

------------------
"Put a rifle in the hands of a Subject, and he immediately becomes a Citizen." -- Jeff Cooper

Why go so easy on the fools. Ralph Nader and Sidney Wolfe, MD??, quoted the JAMA article that said that 300,000 die each year of medical mistakes. 50% of all infections in hospitals are "iatrogenic" (cause by the treatment/doctor/hospital)... Now if you want to make a buck off this, contact rangerco@go.com

OK, I'll bite.

How am I going to make money off of incompetent doctors?

BTW, that 30,000 figure is just the number of people killed by prescription meds. Have no idea where the 300,000 number comes from, but its probably low. Last time I visited the hospital, the nurse wanted to inject my wife with a needle that was laying on her little tray. I hadn't seen it come out of it's own little package, so I told her to get a new one and asked how she could account for a needle laying on a tray (there were several there).

Her response, no Sh&%: "Well, I can't account for everywhere that every needle has been, but its a lot better odds that your going to get AIDS from having sex than from a needle in the hospital."

After explaining that we were married and would she please give me the name of her supervisor, she left and another nurse came in. This was after the doctor that initially saw my wife told us she had an untreated sexually transmitted disease (wife had extreme abdominal pain). Turns out she had a gall stone and suffered for 3 days in pain while they screwed around.

My great grandma used to say that doctors and hospitals kill as many people as they save. She was probably right.

[This message has been edited by Jack 99 (edited November 17, 1999).]

Doctors don't kill people. "Post-operative complications", "Adverse drug reactions", and "Acute system failure" kill people. :)

Back