Pros and Cons of the Decocker

Welcome to TFL, Volunteer!

I've chosen pistols with decockers because
I like the manual of arms for them.

Having a way to lower the hammer without a
lot of risk is appealing to me. And I prefer
double action for a quick first shot.

I agree with Zander. Among top-quality decocker semiautomatics, I prefer the H&K USP (Variant One) design, with a dual-use decocker/hammer safety to permit secure Condition One carry -- just like a 1911A1.

well if your missing a couple of fingers...

I don't use em'...only because I trust myself more than a mechanical device. Both can fail, so I keep the gun pointed in a safe direction.

I would rather have a decocker than a saftey on the side of my DA pistol...at least I know if I pull the trigger the thing will fire for sure ( I am paranoid of the safety flipping on...and why do you need one on a DA -like revolvers- is anyones guess.

Maybe I dont use them out of habit as well, not all guns have them so I like uniformity.

each to their own...
peace
IZZY

I like the position of the HK series decockers and others that utilize the same position, but I can't get used to the Sig Type.

The slide release and decocker are so close together that I have confused them occasionally. I just can't get used to that setup.

Other than that, they are useful for carrying DA/SA type pistols when you aren't exactly comfortable with SA carry such as the Makarov.

Good Shooting
RED

I love the Beretta 92f system. The de-cocker and the safety work together off one lever. As you de-cock, the firing pin rotates out of alignment and then the hammer falls down.

Some models ("G" model, I think) have no safety, so after de-cocking the lever springs back into a firing position (but the hammer remains dropped).

Note that de-cocking should always be done with the gun pointed in a safe direction--just in case.

The advantage of having a mishap using a de-cocker versus using your thumb to de-cock is that an accidental discharge while de-cocking won't tear your thumb off.

I have a S&W 410 which has a combination safety/decocker. I agree with Zander about having a way to drop the hammer without using the trigger. So in that sense, I like it.

I also use this same pistol to shoot IPSC (production class) matches. (OK, "match", but I'm shooting my second one next Saturday.) The downside to the safety/decocker is when it comes to the end of a stage and it's time to safety and clear the pistol. After the stage, I put on the safety (dropping the hammer) and then drop the mag and show clear to the range officer. The next step is to drop the hammer (already down) which must be done by pulling the trigger. S&W pistols have a magazine safety, that means I have to insert an empty magazine, take the pistol off safety, pull the trigger, then resafety the pistol and drop the magazine. It's a bit of a production.

Another gray area is movement during a match. The rules say the safety "should" be on during movement. (8.5, 14th edition) If I apply the safety, the hammer decocks, and the RO might think I was moving with my finger on the trigger and accidentally pulled the trigger during movement. However, the instructor at the IPSC safety class I took said the safety was optional during movement. (An assistant at the class was one of the RO's during my first match and said the same thing. I am not sure where I stand on this issue.)

There's my 2 bits worth.
Jhisaac

I prefer the manual safety type of decocker over the spring loaded ones. It is safer to put the safety on and chamber a round than it is to chamber a round (which brings you to condition 0) and then decock. I am in a living arrangement that would not allow any margine of error (ie: AD). There is no reason for a spring loaded decocker in my mind. The idea that you would forget to place the safety in a fire position is a training issue. When I practice, I fire one round DA followed by one round SA then decock. I then automatically place the safety to the fire position as I lower the gun to reholster.

Decockers

My Bad,
Took a while to get used to decockers again. Had a S & W 1076 with decocker...was supposed to be FBI's gun of the year.
Worked the decocker one day when checking out the house. Lucky I used hollowpoints and was pointing in a safe place.
Blew a nice 10 mm hole in the door frame into the slab floor.
Guys at the gunshop laughed for weeks saying I must have had my finger in the trigger, till the 'smith came back , pointed the weapon into the "barrel" and decocked, "Boom", round went into the barrel.
Gun went back to Smith. When it came back "fixxed" I traded it with another collector after I told him about the decocker. Cost me a discount and 3 extra mags to "take it offa me."

From a tactical point of view frame mounted decockers like the Sig design are great. It allows you to engage a target, fire, neutralize the threat and decock while covering the target without changing your grip or sight picture. Or a case where you must pursue a target and you (like me) don't favor the idea of running through several backyards with a light trigger.

Decockers are great,as long as you remember to use them. If you forget,you could inadvertantly end up with a hole where you dont want one.

Like anything else,it takes a lot of practice to develop muscle memory to automatically use the decocker.

Back