Proper Weapon!?!

308Enfield

I'm not 100% sure this is the right thread for this post, so the admins are welcome to move it if I've made a mistake :) I've become a fan of a web site, tuckermax.com, that's at least, shall we say, colorful stories of this guy's life. He's a pro military conservative and on social issues I usually agree with him. He also apparently does some hunting, good for him. Now I don't have a problem with what kind of weapon someone chooses to hunt with as long as it humanely puts down the animal in question, but his recent posting on a rabbit hunt in Midland, TX seems like an odd choice of firearm for the purpose. I want to emphasize that I have no objection to his choice, I just thought it might lead to some interesting discussion. Any comments?

Attachments

• tuckerrabbit2.JPG
    tuckerrabbit2.JPG
    25.3 KB · Views: 106
Looks good to me. What kind of ranges was he shooting at? Was he hunting for meat or pest control? What are the state laws for hunting fur bearers? There are too many questions that aren't answered to truly give an opinion. Alot of people shoot prairie pups with much larger than .223. Is that overkill?

Accurate, light weight, inexpensive ammo, FUN, rabbit still in one piece.

Now, if you were talking duck hunting ..... ;)

My brother and I used a Mini-14 many a time in our idle youth to shoot jackrabbits flushing wild out of snowy Nebraska shelterbelts. We also would have been suitably equipped if a coyote would have been amongst them. We used the .223 because it added range, not power

The jackrabbits were cleaned and transformed into sausage.

I have just started another thread in "The Art of the Rifle" which contends that the 5.56 reaches it limit far before we get to category of combat round. Please check it out, the military REALLY needs to get moving with a replacement for this cartridge.

Well, it depends on why you're out there in the first place. Are you out there to hunt rabbits and thus chose the best gun for the job, or are you out there to shoot one of your favorite guns and rabbits make darn good targets? (Don't give me the "only kill what you're going to eat" argument- he's in desert cow country shooting food competition and coyote support).

ah id say its fine

That looks ok to me. I dont eat rabbits so i wouldnt be worried about the meat loss. The .223 will bring them down very humanely provided you dont use FMJ. Id love to be able to lawfully own and afford a rabbit gun like that.

Back