Proper Way to Lubricate Bolt ( bolt action )

Jim567

My rifles are technically hunting rifles but they are very accurate and I use them primarily for target practice .
Savage Model 11s and Ruger Ranch American.
After I clean them I go very sparingly with any oil.
None on the lugs.
My thoughts were any oil on the lugs would adversely effect accuracy.
I realized today I probably could use some advice here lol!
Thanks.

In addition to light coat of oil on all surfaces to prevent rust, I apply little amount of grease to behind the lugs, camming surfaces for recocking and primary extraction, and the sear. The grease is for lubrication and wear prevention.

It is generally pretty dry. It is for target shooting. Hunting in extreme climate is very different.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I have no earthly idea why lugs would need grease or even liquid oil for that matter. A dry film synthetic lubricant/rust preventative is far superior.

I've seen the silicone wipes marketed. I've also seen people use silicone spray on a rag.
I use a light coat of gun oil on surfaces.
For sear and the back side of the bolt lugs i use grease from Montana Extreme. Just a light smear will do.

Why would lube on the lugs affect accuracy?? The lugs lock into the recess in the receiver when you close the bolt, securing them in place. The fact that there was a film of lube on the bearing surfaces does not affect accuracy.

"My thoughts were any oil on the lugs would adversely effect accuracy."

In what way? Do you really think a thin film of oil/grease is going to significantly change some dimension of the chamber/headspace?
I grease the bolt lugs and cocking cam surfaces unless I'm hunting in extreme cold or a dusty environment.

Oil and grease attract and hold dust and dirt. After I clean my rifles I'll leave a VERY light film of oil just to protect against rust. But when I go hunting I remove as much as possible. The goal is to hunt with the bolt and raceways almost dry.

Oil and grease attract and hold dust and dirt. After I clean my rifles I'll leave a VERY light film of oil just to protect against rust. But when I go hunting I remove as much as possible. The goal is to hunt with the bolt and raceways almost dry.
I agree 100% with that reasoning. I used to do the same thing, but the advancements in the dry lube/rust preventative let me eliminate the wet oil all together. (The earlier ones were not very good)

Oil nor grease "attacks" dirt.

Dirt stays where it is at unless it is stirred up.

If you are in a dirty environment, then some of it will adhere to the grease or oil. If its really bad (sand and dirt in desert and wind, aka Duststorm ) then its a serious issue.

And what do you need to do to keep an AR running under those conditions, yep, oil.

I have yet to be outdoors in conditions that would wind up an issue. Worst case keep the bolt closed and a cotton plug in the bore.

And neither grease nor oil is going to affect accuracy on the bolt.

If its wet, more oil the better.

I have not tried dry lubes in guns. Other places I have not been impressed but have not tried them in a while either. Worth a look. They do keep improving products and some vastly beat the stuff of old (which tended to toxic but worked).

Any grease is fine, its not like this is a gear to gear that requires EP, though if you have EP there is no reason not to use it.

Not so much what lube... there are too many that are suitable. Too much could cause problems. Sparingly is the word.

It's well known that dirt, carbon, etc. mixed with grease or other lube can harden or congeal in cold weather. Especially if in the firing pin channel. I have seen it happen deer hunting.

Back