Proper use of Mosin stripper clips?

MosinNOUGAT

I have tried every way to use clips to load cartridges into my Mosin 91/30, but they are either really stiff or the whole clip leans forward A LOT. Is this normal? I have Finnish Tikka clips, and was just wondering if these have to be broken in? I have tried to hold up the first round to push in the rest, but seems to be very stiff.

Thanks in advance!

I'd buy the stripper clips sold by Numrich (Gun Parts Corp). They work well. I tried some cheap Chinese ones from Amazon that didn't work at all.

Load 5 rounds in the clip, such that the rim of one is in front of the one below it. The clip can only be used one way, so mark it on the back on one side with a paint pen to remind yourself.

Grasp the top round, rotate it up slightly, and use it to push the other four down about 75% of the way. The last 25% of the way just thumb the cartridges down like a Mauser. Don't push the last round down too hard, as it could cause rimlock. On some Mosins with loose interrupters you can just thumb them down 100% of the way like a Mauser, but don't do this. They might look like they went in fine but you will have cycling issues.

You don't need to stack the rims of the rounds in the clip, and the clip can go into either way. Rim lock is not a problem because of the interupter.

-TL

Hello,

You probably have a new, unfitted interrupter installed during refurbishment. You'll need to fit it.

The rounds should be stacked, but not for feeding. Rounds 1, 3, 5 should down, touching the clip, and rounds 2 and 4 should have their rims stacked on top of 1-3 and 3-5.

As was said, it doesn't matter for use, but for compactness it helps. This is the way they came packaged on clips for use in the field.

If you'd like, you can go to my website, http://smith-sights.com , and take a look at the instructional videos. I have at least one on feed tuning.

Regards,

Josh

For what it's worth I haven't had good luck with my Mosins with the second and fourth in front of first, third, and fifth even after trying to tune the interruptors. It works well with a Lee Enfield though.

Andrewsky said:
For what it's worth I haven't had good luck with my Mosins with the second and fourth in front of first, third, and fifth even after trying to tune the interruptors. It works well with a Lee Enfield though.

Hello,

In that case, your wood shrank or got crushed. Do your receiver screws bottom out?

Regards,

Josh

Back