Proper optics mounting position?

BoogieMan

I have a XVR that currently wears a 2-8 scope on a warn rail and rings. I am not crazy about my ability to acquire targets when hunting so its being switched to a FastFire III. With the scope I didnt have any choice of mounting position due to eye relief. With the halo dot I can move it anywhere on the rail. My question is: Where on the rail is the "proper" spot? Or is this simply a matter of personal opinion? My 1911 wheres a Doctor at the very rear of the slide. I cant really compare the 2 guns other than neither of them have a stock. The XVR is much, much more gun and its used more in the 75-150 yd range versus the 1911 in compensated 9mm that is used at 10-20yds.

Most always, Forward. JMHO

On these types of optics and practicing on a consistent cheek weld. I mount the optics forward, in order to give myself more "outside" field as opposed to the optics internal field. Man, I sure hope I have expressed this properly. ... :)

Be Safe !!!

practicing on a consistent cheek weld.
Man, I sure hope I have expressed this properly[/QUOTE

No, I'm confused.

The cheek weld thing is what did it because we're talking handguns with no cheek weld but I know YOU know that so yeah I need a better explanation.

Disclaimer: I've never used a scope on a handgun but I have used red dot sights on handguns and found them very handy especially as my eyes get older. I didn't think the forward/rearward mounting was that much of an issue but I didn't have a great deal of latitude on mounting them on my guns.

For an optic on a pistol, the correct position is a matter or personal opinion, there is no "proper" spot.

When I mount a slightly larger optic, like an Aimpoint micro, then the balance of the pistol is my primary concern. I place the optic where the weight feels right to me. But with a Fastfire III, it probably does not weigh enough for its position to affect the balance of the revolver.

The distance from your eye can also be a factor, but in this case I do not think it will matter. The Fastfire, like most sights with no magnification, has infinite eye relief. So the distance from your eye will not matter optically. Some people prefer the sight a little closer or a little farther away, but with the sight at arms length on a pistol, an extra inch in either direction does not matter much. On a rifle, I do not like these sights too close to my face, but that is still a matter of personal opinion.

One other factor is to make sure that blast from the compensator or from the barrel/cylinder gap does not affect the optic. This issue is rarely a concern, but it is something to be aware of.

Good luck with your optic.

OOPS

I need a better explanation.
Only because I did not pay attention and as "Progressives" would say; I will have to "recalibrate" my reply. .... ;)

Have a nice day and;
Be Safe !!!

I've got some FF3's on a couple of handguns and I can tell you that it's a personal preference. They weigh so little it's not even a balance point issue. You could try it in a couple of spots to see if you can acquire the dot easier/quicker in one spot over another. The FF3 on a handgun can sometimes make it just a wee bit of an issue finding the dot vs using a "tin can" red dot sight. You'll see what I'm talking about after you start using it. It is a very well made sight. I had them on a 44mag and even on a 45-70 Win 86 and they held up great and shot great on both. Good luck.

I mount the optics forward, in order to give myself more "outside" field as opposed to the optics internal field

I think you explained the point perfectly. Also its not something I had considered. When you move the sight forward you get less optic and more field, when you move it rear you get more optic and less field.
I am a little apprehensive about the change so I appreciate the good reviews of the FFIII. I hunt NE PA and we have a 3p on one side rule (not many trophies to worry about) so its sometimes difficult to confirm (for me) number of points without looking through a scope. I am picking up a monocular to keep hanging on my neck for this reason.

Back