Proper length of pull?

Erik

I've heard different things. So what exactly is the proper length of pull? I know some of it comes down to preference. I'm looking for the norm.

Thanks,
Erik

ERIK:
What is proper length of pull? It is fitting the rifle or shotgun stock to the shooter. Proper length of pull will propely aligh the sights, head and eye coordination to the gun, and proper shouldering of the firearm so as to improve accuracy and reduce recoil.

LENGTH OF PULL ON THE FIRE ARM:
Measured Distance from the face of the trigger to the end of the butt stock.

LENGTH OF PULL ON THE SHOOTER:
Measured Distance from the face of the trigger finger, to the inside crook of a bent elbow. (wearing the same jacket you hunt with)

Proper fit will allow the shooter to shoulder the firearm and it will come naturally to the cheek and shoulder, without raising or lowering the head to pick up sights..

Mfg'd rifles and shotgun normally will have about a 13 1/4 approx. lenght of pull.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited March 07, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited March 07, 2000).]

If you are what would be called a normal sized man the 131/2 inch length of pull will fit you just fine.That's from the center of the trigger to the center of the butt pad.

Harley-
FWIW, I fall into the camp of "shorter is better" when it comes to preference on length of pull. What's comfortable on the skeet field or the bench is defined by the measurements you've provided, since we start with the butt in the shoulder.

What's comfortable in the field is often something more than an inch shorter to avoid clothing snags and to assist smooth presentation. It's a lot easier to accomodate to a short L.O.P. than one that's too long.

Your thoughts/corrections are welcome.

For rifles with heavy recoil .308 on up as short as possible and still not hit yourself in the nose with your thumb when shooting offhand or from the bench.

Erik,
I read an article on stock fit sometime in the past year, but for the life of me I cannot remember the author.
I do remember what he stated though. Most factory rifle stocks come with a 13 ½” length of pull designed to fit a man 5’10” tall of average build. For each inch taller or shorter, add or subtract 1/8”.
Also for slim build add 1/8” and for thick build subtract 1/8”. Hope this helps. Wish I could remember author.

Back