Proper grip for pocket pistol

keithdog

I became the owner of a new Ruger LCPII this weekend. I haven't shot the gun yet as I am having a flair up with Carpal Tunnel in my left wrist right now. But working with the gun, I found myself trying to decide the proper grip for such a small pistol. I am right handed, and when I grip a pistol, I do NOT wrap my left index finger around the trigger guard, but rather below it. However, when gripping the small LCPII, my left finger naturally wants to lay in front of and around the trigger guard. I can make myself grip it as I normally would, but I was wondering when gripping such a small pistol, if it would be actually better to wrap your index finger around the trigger guard? I've always been told that doing so could adversely effect the accuracy when firing the gun.

This is my opinion, the LCP isn't a two handed pistol. Its a one handed, point and shoot belly gun. Its designed for shooting distances 5 yards and under. Using 2 hands makes me think you are shooting for groups and trying to get some accuracy out of it. Its not designed for that.

There is nothing wrong with gripping that way, as long as it works for you and you can shoot it accurately.
While guns are designed for certain scenarios, you can target shoot with any of them. I'm sure the LCP is accurate enough that if the shooter practices, some amazing shots could be made.

The mini .380 guns are known to be quite snappy. Makes sense to me one would use a two handed grip to accurately put the bullet on target. But their size does make that a challenge. I do always make a point of practicing every pistol I shoot both single handed and two handed. In an emergency, one may not have time to achieve a two handed grip before firing the gun.

Last edited:
Back