Proper 1911 trigger adjustment?

elector

What is the proper adjustment of a 1911 trigger that's adjustable for overtravel?

Specifically, I have a 1911 that came with a Videcki adjustable trigger. When the trigger is squeezed, the hammer falls--no problem there, as such. However, if I lower the hammer manually after squeezing the trigger, I can feel the hammer rub against the outside of the sear just after the sear moves out of the hammer notch. I assume that this is because the adjustable trigger does not have quite enough travel to move the sear completely out of the way of the falling hammer.

So, is it acceptable for these parts to rub against each other somewhat after the hammer is released? Or, does the hammer need to fall completely free of the sear? If the latter--and I know this is a dumb question--how do I adjust the trigger?

TIA.

FWIW, I adjust until the hammer does not touch the sear. Some folks say there is no problem if it does, and I don't necessarily disagree, but I prefer to prevent rubbing where possible.

Jim

I go along with Jim. A few thousandths "extra" overtravel won't be noticeable, nor affect your shooting unless maybe you're in that elite "Grand Master" group of competition shooters.

The tweakiest part of the 1911 trigger fixup is dealing with the "foreplay" before the trigger engages the sear. At the moment, I'm feeling smug about brazing some material onto the back side of the trigger, and filing it down so there is a (roughly) 0.005" takeup before sear engagement. Boy! Does it feel better! I've yet to test it, to see if I need to widen the gap a bit...But, it dry-cycles just fine.

:), Art

Back