Proofmarks on Mauser

mapsjanhere

I need some help with identifying proofmarks on a commercial Mauser. It's not the typical BUG set, but the cown-over-N nitro mark together with two I can't identify. The stamps are repeated on the ring and the bolt. From what I gathered in information, the powder quantity stamp indicates a 1912 or earlier date, the weapon was made in Munich. The caliber didn't get introduced until around 1908, this should narrow the manufacturing date.

I can't help but believe that someone might be able to help you with photos of the markings. Otherwise:confused:

Let's see. 2,7 g G.B.P means the proof load was 2.7 grams of GBP powder. It is not really a "powder quality" stamp, it indicates the amount and type of the powder used in proving the gun.

G.B.P. stands for Gewehr Blättchen Pulver (rifle flake powder). They used powders from different makers and worked up a load to give the proof pressure required by law. St. m. G. means Stahlmantel Geschoss (steel jacket bullet). The bullet weight should be just below that, but seems to have been polished out at some time.

The crown/N is the standard Nitro proof; I think the other letters are the inspectors' initials. The 8,9 mm is the bore diameter as determined by the size of the plug gauge that will fit through the bore. 8.9mm would indicate a 9mm cartridge.

Jim

Last edited:
Just click on the underlined words and photos will come up, good grief, what will they think of next, I bet they even try and put the outhouse inside.:eek:

Thanks Jim, never thought I might be chasing inspector marks. The 8.9 is the plug gauge, it's a 9.3 if measured between the grooves.

Those are pretty deep grooves, almost like a lead bullet rifle. What cartridge is it marked for?

Jim

It's a 9.3 x 64, so not the still available 9.3 x 64 Brenneke but an earlier version based on the M88 (8x57I) case measurements.
From my research the 8.9 stamp is typical for the 9.3 bore, similar most 8 mm calibers had 7.7 stamps.

Common markings for 9mm Luger pistols are 8,83-8,85. 8.84 mm is .348"; with a groove diameter of .355", the groove depth is .0035", about average for jacketed bullets.

But an 8.9mm bore would be .350", while 9.3mm uses a .365-366" bullet. That would mean a difference of 015"-.016", or a groove depth of .008", about double normal depth. That is why I was somewhat puzzled by the 8,9 marking.

A 9.3x64 based on the 8x57 base should be easy to make ammo for, out of either .270 or .280 Remington. A .30-'06 (7.62x63) case would be a bit short, but could be spun out. Performance should be about the same as the .35 Whelen, but like that cartridge, it might have case support problems due to the small shoulder.

Jim

Back