Proof Ammo ? ? ?

I have 3,900 rds of British ammo. I have been told that it could possibly be Proof Ammo & I am trying to find out if this is so. The Head Stamp is:

RG 59

Q3

It is Brass Cased with a full metal jacket bullet and the propellant charge is Cordite. I have some other original U.S. Military Proof ammo: Winchester .30-06, (1,800rds.), .308, (160rds.) and Remington .30 Carbine, (6,585rds.). I would like to sell it all as one lot but first I have to know if the .303 is Proof Ammo.

I have contacted H.P. White Laboratory in Maryland but unfortunately they do not have a Hi-pressure test barrel for the British .303. I was wondering if anybody knew how else I could find out if it is Proof Ammo.

Dunno how you'd tell about the .303, but if you find out, drop me an email. My Enfield is getting hungry :).

------------------
"America needs additional gun laws like a giraffe needs snow tires."
--Rabbi Mermelstein, JPFO

I "read somewhere" (great source cite, I know) that the Brits simply greased up the cases of their regular ball ammo to create effective Blue Pill loads. When the cases could not grip the chamber walls, the effect was to have the bolt take all the pressure. Somebody check me on this?

Regards,
L.P.

Back