Prone Stock Design vs American Sporter style

Demaiter

So with winter breaking I was out shooting today enjoying some of the milder weather. I was really looking forward to the outing as last year I bought a Savage 14 American Classic in .223 and I've loaded up some 69 grain matchkings with the plan that I could learn to shoot out to 500 yards as well as nail a few groundhogs/other rodents if needed.

Over the winter I've been consumed by the PRS Events and the "What the Pro's Use" as well as the GA Precision videos on youtube where the guy shoots all the different models into 1/2" groups like nothing from prone.

My problem is - I've always shot this rifle from a standing/sitting/upright style of shooting and when I go prone it doesn't feel right. I have a harris swivel 9-13 bipod which when on the higher settings allows me to lift my chest up and get the stock into my shoulder. but being so high, I am undsteady. When the bipod is at 9" or lower the only the upper portion of the stock is on my shoulder and getting a cheekweld and good eye alignment in the scope is nearly impossible. Since only the top 1" or 1.5" of the butpad is making contact with my shoulder recoil is amplified.

My question is - does stock design make a huge difference if your shooting prone - does the rifle ever get into your shoulder comfortably?

Perhaps if I'm prone shooting - the scope should be placed when prone instead of seeing how it feels when I shoot offhand?

Perhaps the ring height it typically different if you do a lot of prone shooting vs upright shooting? If so - maybe I would want an adjustable comb?

I am seriously considering putting a manners with the mini chassis on it possibly with the midnight molded camo pattern. I like the style of the MSC-TA or the Mcmillian htg. Are these for prone or upright or a combination

Thanks

Last edited:
Unfortunately, there is a correct LOP, rise, ring height, and eye relief for a given shooter and a given position. If you optimize for standing offhand, you will be compromised for other positions.

However, standing, kneeling, and sitting at a bench will be fairly similar.

Prone slung-up and prone with bipod will be similar to each other.

But no one single stock/scope setup is going to be optimal for all positions.

Another thing to consider is your prone position. Do you have correct position, or do you just think you have correct position (I was in the later condition for most of my life until I got some coaching).

Jim

Shooting prone with proper technique is a different cheekweld, recoil and if your using bipod , its a different animal in itself. I have always thought that the prone "slung up" position is the most consistent position possible.

SFAIK, "American Sporter Style" is a hunting rifle. By and large, few such shots are taken from the prone position.

Back