Prone Position – How is the correct handling of the Pistol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

stdalire

1. One time I had a target practice inside a Military Camp (Central Police District, Quezon City, Philippines). There were several shooters instructed by the Range Officer:

2. One of the positions that got my interest is to handle the “Pistol while on Prone Position”.

3. One of the Kosovans used .40 Glock. And during his term to shoot on the prone position, he handle his pistol one foot above the ground surface.

4. After his shot he was corrected by the Range Officer that: The pistol should not be raised but instead the end of the grip should touch the ground to have a good aim of the pistol and reduced muzzle recoil.

5. Now, on my turn to use the range I did what I’ve heard and see – I found out that it is hard to aim or get a correct front sight if the end of the pistol grip will remain attached to the ground

6. Which one is really the correct procedure and acceptable to any shooter.

“Love of learning Opens the Gate of Knowledge”

Sonny

Sonny, the instructor was correct in his statement that contacting the ground gives better stability and recoil control. Prone is perhaps the most steady of positions but gains nothing if the shooter doesn't utilize the ground. As many of the large shooting schools say, the closer you are to the ground, the more stable you are.

The shooter you witnessed was probably steadying only his elbows on the ground and not his forearms and hands also, taking away the most advantageous part of shooting prone. If elevating the muzzle is a problem, simply raise you're shooting hand within the grasp of your support hand a little to adjust, but keep contact with the ground.

EricO

I get better groups if the butt of the pistol is off the ground about an inch. In fact, in some shooting disciplines it is against the rules for the gun to touch the ground. If all you are trying to do is shoot the best possible group, use the ground. If that doesn't work, lift up a bit. Good shooting.

The best prone technique is Ray Chapman's "rollover" prone. The shooter's body is at about a 45-degree angle to the firing line. The left leg is drawn up to "roll" one's body onto its right side, thus getting one's weight off one's diaphram. The arms are extended and in contact with the ground. The right cheek rests on the right bicep, removing any tension in the neck. The pistol is grasped with both hands and the heels of the hands are on the ground.

If one needs more elevation, move the strong hand upward within the grasp of the weal hand, but keep the heel of the weak hand on the ground.

This position provides great steadiness and facilitates the use of low cover. The proper use of prone should be in any competent pistolero's bag of tricks.

Rosco

Hmmm... one of the top instuctors of today quoting one of the Masters of all time. Think there is something we can pick up from that? :) Rosco, thanks for that review of Mr. Chapmans rollover prone. (I still can't call him anything but Mr. Champan. It can only approximate my respect for the man.) I still listen very closely to him at our local IDPA matches. I count it a privalege to learn from his wisdom.

Those of you who are joining us for the Republic of Tx Championships will get to experience some of his wisdom and knowledge in a charging target system he has developed. Its loads of fun. ;)

------------------
Bubba
IDPA# A04739
====
It is long been a principal of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully. - Jeff Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back