Projectile Sizes

PreLockSmith

Inactive
Hey guys, Im wanting to reload for my 38/357 revolvers. When looking online for 38 caliber projectiles (either cast or swagged) they come in 2 different sizes either 357 or 358. When using starting load data are either diameters safe to use? The load data Im using specifically states to use a 358 diameter projectile so would a 357 projectile still be safe to use? Im guessing one diameter might just lead the barrel up slightly more than the other? Appreciate any advice guys as Im very new to the reloading process.

What data are you using?

.357 is common for jacketed bullets.

.358 is common for lead and plated bullets.

Either/both can be used.

Thanks for the reply mate, the powder Im using is made in Australia but is very similar to Bullseye which I’ve read burns quite hot & is not idea for swagged lead projectiles however here in Australia we are very limited on choices of powder where I live. The powder Im using is APS350 using a 158 grain cast LSWC projectile with a start load of 2.8 grains which gives around 777 fps. I have ordered some 158 grain swagged LSWC & have also ordered some cast 158 grain LSWC (just waiting to see if the company actually has any in stock atm). Ive read the swagged projectiles should be ok as long as I keep the velocity under around 850 fps with a hot burning powder like APS350 so I hope thats correct.

Bullseye has not only worked, it has been the powder of choice for target loads with soft swaged bullets in .38 special for many decades. I think you'll be able to get it to work well under 850 FPS. Assuming the powder is similar to Bullseye...

APS350N does not look much different from AS30N which was sold in the US as Clays and used for all manner of target loads. You will be fine.

Bullet diameter: As old time gunsmith and experimenter P.O. Ackley wrote, "By the time the bullet has traveled its own length, it will FIT the barrel." (Cylinder throat in a revolver.) And that is before the pressure peak.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. Just want to make sure I know exactly what Im doing before I start reloading so you will probably get a few more questions from me yet lol

Back