Project Exile comes to CO

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
Gun crackdown announced
Associated Press

DENVER - Colorado U.S. Attorney Tom Strickland is planning a multilevel crackdown on criminals who break gun laws.

Strickland, who was sworn in to the office in April, will launch a plan in October that includes several proposals aimed at bolstering enforcement of existing gun laws.

Though enforcing gun law has not always been a priority in the U.S. Attorney's Office in the past, Strickland said, "It will be, under my tenure."

Under the plan, local prosecutors around the state will send Strickland cases that carry tougher penalties under federal law than under state law.

Local prosecutors will also be asked to crack down in their own state courts on gun cases where state law allows stiffer sentences.

Federal law enforcement agencies have orders to produce more cases for federal prosecution, especially of gun crimes that violate only federal laws.

The plan also will call for a multimedia ad campaign aimed at scaring criminals into disarming for fear of long years behind bars.

Strickland has asked local corporations and foundations to help with funding of the campaign.

Prosecutor Jim Allison, chief of major crimes in Strickland's office, said the plan will provide a pre-emptive strike against gun violence.

"We are going to get at those federal crimes before someone has been hurt - before the gun has been fired, before it has been stuck in somebody's ear," he said.

In some cases, Colorado sets tougher penalties for gun crimes than federal law.

For instance, Colorado law is tougher on people who use guns when committing crimes. But federal law is tougher on felons who possess guns, requiring a five-year
prison term.

Strickland's plan is modeled after the widely touted Project Exile, started in 1997 by the U.S. attorney in Richmond, Va., and since copied in several other parts of
the country.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

I'm not sure why so many of "us" are so excited about the idea of greater "enforcement" of a bunch of dumb gun laws.

Actually, "Project Exile" is simply a policy of 100% prosecution for firearms crimes that was started in Richmond, VA.

It is a VERY good thing, especially from "our" point of view. If true criminals are acually prosecuted, violent crime drops and some of the heat is removed from us.

I am not sure that the CO plan really sounds like a carbon copy of EXILE, but any serious effort to stop real crime is okay with me.

Rob is right. Excellent. Once the exile thing gets going, it will snowball and the Clintonites will be hard-pressed to deny its effectiveness and therefore admit no new "gun control" is needed.

As soon as I can find a fax number or email addy for this guy, I'll ask what he plans to inflict upon the good guys. If he comes back with trigger locks or some such, he'll get an earful.

Since our governor has stabbed us in the back, I'm looking askance at this plan until it's actually in place.

------------------
"Taking a long view of history, we may say that
anyone who lays down his arms deserves whatever he gets."
--Jeff Cooper

Following up on Rob's post, Project Exile has cut the homicide 33% in 1998, and cut the armed robery rate 30% in Richmond since its start in 1997 (Richmond had the second highest per capita homicide rate in the nation prior to 1997, and I believe Mr. Hill can verify that Richmond is a tough town-). The governor was sufficiently impressed that it is now a statewide program called "Virginia Exile". There's good article about it in this month's American Guardian.

It really does prove the point that we don't need more laws, the one's we have work just fine when you enforce 'em.
M2

Back