Progressive reloader with Pyrodex

Fred_Fred

Anyone else using a mec or other machine to pre load cartridges or tubes with Pyrodex? I've had good luck with Dixie yellow tubes and my mec 600jr...
Hodgdon has ok'd using these for their product but it probably isn't a good idea for real black powder...
Thoughts?

I too use the yellow tubes from Dixie Gun Works for my .44 C&B revolvers as quick loads, especially since they take less time to reload than making paper cartridges & when I go to the range I can sling a lot of lead during my time there so they are nice for reloads instead of the flask & measure.

I also use the red ones for my .50 cal inline too.

As far as using a reloading press "if that is what you are talking about" I don't, I just reload the tubes the old fashioned way with a flask & measure while watching a hunting show or something, gotta have something to do while watching the tube because those things become a real bore after a while.

lymans blackpowder measure is made of all metal, no plastic parts....i would be tempted to run a ground wire to a ground rod to prevent static electricity. bobn

Raider2000
What is Yellow Tubes

See Quote:
I too use the yellow tubes from Dixie Gun Works for my .44 C&B revolvers as quick loads, especially since they take less time to reload than making paper cartridges & when I go to the range I can sling a lot of lead during my time there so they are nice for reloads instead of the flask & measure.

Thanks Tom

Here's how I've been loading the tubes..

Didn't order them until I found this on the Hodgdon website
Note: I use Pyrodex only...

1.jpg

Got them mid-summer and have been using them with my mec 600jr since.
First I chose a #26 bushing as that closely matched the 35gr I was throwing with my measure.

2.jpg

Just put the tube over the mec drop tube and throw the charge bar.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Put your lead ball in the tube and it seals the powder in.

6.jpg

Seems most people shy away from using REAL black powder in these machines and with plastic funnels etc. There must be a reason most REAL black powder still comes in METAL cans......!

How do the yeller tubes work?

Seems to me, the only advantage is that you'd have a proper charge measured out. Am I missing something here?

Yes.
Since your charge is already measured out, & you have your Ball or Bullet with it, all you need is the wads "if you use them" & you have a quick load for your C&B revolvers.
Makes reloads quicker while at the range..

No Grym not really a big deal it's just a way to spend a little more of your time actually shooting. These tubes are reusable indefinately and It's an easy way to get close to the same charge over and over pretty quickly. I usually don't have the luxury of spending an entire afternoon shooting or I'd do it the old fashioned way.. And with my failing eye-sight I need all the target practice I can get!

Fred

Last edited:
Back