progressive presses, what should I get?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow9mm

So I'm sold on getting a progressive press. Now the question is which one.

Time frame,Has changed. Getting a Christmas bonus at work, and its going to buy me a new press.

price. I have seen from the $110 to the $2400 range. I would prefer to stay in the $500 to $600 range if at all possible, but would be willing to flex up to perhaps $1000 absoloute max all in.

Size
, smaller is preferred. I have a very limited work space and have to store my press when not in use. My current press is currently bolted to a piece of 2x6 and held to the kitchen table with wood working clamps and gets put up at meal time.

Brands, I don't really have preference except probably not Lee. Nothing against them they work, however every Lee product I have ever bough ended up getting replaced sooner rather than later.

Calibers, as asked
primarily 9mm and 223. Will be doing some brass prep prior to progressive reloading 223. will be keeping my 30-06 single stage.

Round count, as asked. I prefer to load in batches as I don't have a dedicated space. perhaps 400rnds of each caliber per month, but would prefer to load more in batches, or a "lot" format, than weekly loading up. I would like to be able to kick out 500-1000rnds in a day without a ton of trouble and shoot for a while.

Future plans, as asked, in short, 38spl/357 mag, and 45acp. I have tried to limit myself on calibers for the most part for a while now, but I would really like to add these 2 back in in the near future.

Die stations
, during my research It seems common to have 5 stations. Some of the lee and dillon only have 3-4. should I avoid presses with less than 5 stations?

Last edited:
IMHO, based on what I've read and what I see friends using, the choice pursuant to your criteria and budget should be between Dillon and the Hornady Lock-N-Load AP. I know more people using the L-N-L than I know people using any of Dillon's presses, but those who use Dillon are happy with them.

If you want to go Blue (Dillon), then you'll have to decide between the 550 and the 750. (I would skip right over the Square Deal B.) The 750 will sneak into the high end of your budget, so of the two that's probably the better choice.

Any of the name brand devices will work. I have the big blue (Dillon 550) and can highly recommend it but progressive presses do not lend themselves to portability. If you can spare a corner something like the Lee Reloading Stand with the press mounted and set up in a corner would work and take up about the minimum space. Personally I would recommend a turret press if I was restricted to work space but needed to up my production.

Hornady Lock-N-Load AP

I still need convincing after 25 years with the LNL AP, that something Dillon could be better. I have a 4 digit serial number updated to current. Load like 8 calibers on it.

If you're only looking to reload one caliber and not do many changeovers, I think you'd be making a bad decision to not consider the Lee Auto Breech Lock progressive press, it is perhaps the most popular/highest rated progressive presses they've ever made.

Many moons ago, when I ran my classes, mostly Armed Security in Toronto Canada. Some Police, some Military.
I had 3 Star progressive presses. 38 special, around 600 per hour, my wife loaded primers.
45 ACP, cast 200g semi wadcutters. Hensly and Gibbs #68? Around 150 per session, enough for a match. IPSC.
And last but not least .32 swaged wadcutters, with 1.5 grains of 700X a Dupont powder, shotgun powder, I purchased in Buffalo in 12 lb steel kegs. I actually shot the odd possible on our twenty-yard range. I forget the make of the Italian kit. 22LR/22short/.32 Revolver Wadcutters.

The Star presses were born on the same year I was 1935.
I don't think you can go wrong now with the Dillon blue presses.

I used a Hornady LnL for several years when the wife was doing a lot of pistol. Worked fine as long as it you kept the area under the shellplate and the the primer feed clean of powder. Dillon of course is the flagship but the Hornady does what it supposed to for less than half the price of the 750's

I sold the Hornady when the wife stopped shooting and I went mostly rifle and currently get by just fine with a Lee 4 hole turret loading 100 - 150 rounds a week

So I'm sold on getting a progressive press. Now the question is which one.

Time frame, I'm thinking early next year, around tax time with my tax return.

price. I have seen from the $110 to the $2400 range. I would prefer to stay in the $500 to $600 range if at all possible, but would be willing to flex up to perhaps $1000 absoloute max all in.

Size
, smaller is preferred. I have a very limited work space and have to store my press when not in use. My current press is currently bolted to a piece of 2x6 and held to the kitchen table with wood working clamps and gets put up at meal time.

Brands, I don't really have preference except probably not Lee. Nothing against them they work, however every Lee product I have ever bough ended up getting replaced sooner rather than later.
Need more info. How many rounds per week, caliber(s), future plans for add'l calibers?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

I am happy with my 550B, I only load pistol on it tho. Still load rifle on single stage. Never really been happy with anything Lee tho some of it's usable. The Hornady looks more complicated than the 550 but I've not heard complaints against it.

updated, thank you
I can recommend the Dillon 550, as it will take standard dies and is easily (and inexpensively) converted from pistol to rifle. I've owned a 550B for 26 years and was able to use all of my die sets with it (9 calibers), only needing to buy some smaller lock rings for clearance. You can easily load 300-400 rds/hour without stressing.

I've loaded .223 on mine, but the case prep is rather onerous. If I can swing it in the near future, I'd like to pick up a 1050 for that task. Primer pocket swaging, trimming, etc, gets old knowing that after finishing those tasks, the cases still have to be reloaded. I have case catchers on my semiautomatic because I don't like losing prepped cases. Lol

A few years ago, I picked up a used Dillon Square Deal for dedicated loading of 9mm. What a joy to use! If I have primer tubes pre-loaded, I can load 400-500 rds/hour. However, it uses special dies and is rather expensive to convert to other calibers.

FWIW, I've had several friends who love their Hornady LnLs, but I would think they're a bit more delicate to move around with that powder measure connection, etc.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

A lot of people will have a problem with ANY progressive and some not .
The Dillion 550 or 750 will do it all and fast if you keep it lubed and clean .
It is a buy once cry once kind of thing . I have a 550 Dillion but have not used it in a long time . I also have a 650 Dillion very hard to fined better . It is very nice to have a good single stage press (some time you just need it) .

been researching, watching setup vids and systems.

Dillon 550c, not sure how I feel. Only 4 stations, manual case advance, and bullet seat on rear right. I would either need to reach through the press to seat bullet, or take my lever hand off. Seems akward at best

Dillon 750xl. Really unsure. Cant seem to find a good video of the base press, they all have the add on's that would put me in the $1300 range

Hornady Lock n load, looks like a great press, but im not sure how I feel about The lock n load die system. If i just want to thread my dies in and out would that be an issue?

RCBS. Pro chucker 5 and 7. I love my rock chucker, built like a tank. The RCBS are slightly over my budget but not by a huge ammount. If i'm dropping the money would it be worth it to get the 7 and get the extra positions where I could add a bullet feeder, case length gauge, or powder level checker and not have to pick and choose what I want or will I just end up with empty slots? also both over ideal budget by a little, on the higher end.

Lee Auto breech lock pro, odd manual priming system

Lee pro 1000 only 3 stations

lee pro 4000 individual manual prime!

lee loadmaster, you lose a station and die for priming, could you use case mouth flare instead of empty resizing die?

As mentioned by olduser, with my limited space would a turret press be a better option? I cannot see how it would be much faster than a single stage press. it does not take but a couple of seconds to swap a die, vs turning the turret...

Last edited:
This year I upgraded to a turret and wonder why I waited so long..
The 2 original singles do a few specific tasks. Mainly depriming & rifle sizing etc.
One of these days (if I shoot a enough) may upgrade to one of the blue looking deals.

Hornady Lock n load, looks like a great press, but im not sure how I feel about The lock n load die system. If i just want to thread my dies in and out would that be an issue?

No you cannot just thread the dies in and out, they have to be in the lock and load adapters

why does the lock and load system bother you?

I'm going to hang this out there and anyone can respond and tell me if it stinks.

I have a RCBS Rockchucker and it's great. If you're cash strapped and are not going to load a lot of pistol ammo like IPSC and IDPA shooters, I'd suggest a used RCBS Piggyback. It screws into your Rockchucker and runs smooth if you lube it well and make sure it's time right. I've had to manually help rotate the shellholder.. Since the attachment fits onto the Rockchucker, it doesn't take up much space and can be stored away. I have a large aluminum military medical surplus box I can store my reloading and casting tools into. I call it my toybox and that's how I regulate my reloading/casting /archery tool purchases. The Piggyback box doesn't take up too much space. The lowest I've seen one sold on Ebay was around $150 (then s/h) a year ago. They are not too popular but that's my goto progressive setup for now.

I say Dillon 550C; reasonably fast, simple to change calibers, especially in same size primer.
A friend has a Hornady with may bells and whistles and all the DIY tweaks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back