Product Review: Grip Panels for the 1911

Grip panels are not items that particularly excite me. When it comes to the 1911, I'm pretty Plain Jane. I prefer smooth panels and detest finger grooves and squishy, stick to clothing rubber. My normal carry 1911's sport standard wood grips with the Gunsite logo...mainly because that's what came with them. The one exception is my full size 1911: At Christmas TFL Staff presented me with an outstanding set of blond, bone (horn?) panels, etched by Scott Evans with the TFL logo and name. These are a most functional, but given the actual and keepsake value, will never see hard service.

Back to the review:
Last week I received a package from MD Labs in Prescott Valley, AZ. Enclosed was our own Mad Dog's latest offering: Black composite Mad Dog Grip Panels for a full size or Commander 1911 . When it comes to panels, one can hardly use superlatives like "blown away" or "light years ahead". However, these are a real advance over most wood and composite panels and deserve serious consideration.

Unhappy with other offerings on the market, Mad Dog set out to provide a set of panels that are handsome, functional and nearly indestructible....I think he's succeeded. The panels are made of the same tough composite used for the handles of Mad Dog's famous fixed blade knives. This proprietary material can be dinged and scratched...but one really needs to be intent on doing so to accomplish the task! The fit is, as expected, perfect; the look is all business; the function flawless.

These panels are bead blasted to provide a non-slip surface, yet remain as comfortable in my hand as the smooth grips I've always preferred. The area aft of the mag release is relieved to aid in reloading without changing the firing grip. The holes for the panel screws are reinforced with steel liners which render them all but bomb proof.....Mad Dog recommends that the screws be tightened to limits that might destroy lesser panels due to the fact that the grip material simply does not compress like wood or other materials. I installed these with stainless allen head screw, available from Brownell's for no more than three times the price of your local hardware store. Again, the fit is perfect, the look attractive and the practicality obvious.

At the range, they performed as any well made panels might...so I decided to take the test ride up a notch. A thin coating of Militech oil was applied to both panels (real blood is so hard to find when you need it....and so dangerous to use when you do; real sweat is for people that work for a living ;)). With the Militech oil on the panels, there was no slipping either in the presentation or the recoil phase....most impressive.

Currently, these are available only for full size 1911 frames but I'm told they'll soon be available for Officer models. At $80, they ain't cheap, but, then, I've seldom found first class gear that is. Images of the new grip panels can be viewed at Mad Dog's discussion site: http://64.177.53.248/ubb/Forum5/HTML/000052.html

Get some!
Rich

I'ld LOVE a pair of those for my little Detonics...
I'm having a hard time finding suitable grip panels for it.
There are a couple out there - but they are nasty average things that are not distinguished enough for my Combat Master.

Can Mad Dog alter a set for a Detonics? $80 is a lot of scratch - but for something like those, it aint bad. I like them. I'ld order them for my working Springfield, but I already got the grips I want for that one.

Nice Sebenza folder.

I wonder if anyone would make some TFL logo 1911 grips for retail sale...Just thinking out loud...

Thanks for the review, I trust you got the bribe money alright?

:D
MD Labs GunGrips are easy to order:

Send a check for $88.00 to cover the grips and S&H, and insurance,
mail to:
MD Labs
8333 Pecos Drive #4
Prescott Valley, AZ. 86314

or you can charge them at our Paypal account:
First go to
http://www.paypal.com

Then use our email addy to send the funds. It's easy.
GunGrips@progun1.com

About the Detonics and other oddball 1911oids:
We are not currently offering custom grip panels for these, maybe after things slow down a bit we can do some.

I too have a trusty Detonics, and would like to have GunGrips for it, but all of our production is currently set up for adult sized guns. (The tooling setup is nightmarish because this is all done by hand, not on CNC machines)
We are pleased that the demand on these has been high so far.

We also offer a presentation grade, high polish version for
$100.00 +S&H

The next variant to come will be Officer's ACP sized grips, then GunGrips for the Browning High Power.
We will not be offering anything for Para Ordnance, Sigs, etc. for the immediately foreseeable future.
Stay tuned at Tactical Forums for details.
http://www.tacticalforums.com

Go to the MD Labs forum there for info.

I figured that, but can they be ALTERED to fit?
Hmmm - probably not with the steel liners in the screw holes... Dang.

My search continues.

George,

There is hope for us Detonics Combatmaster fans. Another post by the guy (Steve is his name) who works at MD Labs mentioned that they are working on possibly producing a small run of these grips for the Detonics so there still is hope. I think a set of these on my Mark VI would look awesome and I am looking forward to them.

Detonics grip panels

That's right, we have decided to do a mini run of Detonics panels, probably about twenty pairs. :D
They will be available soon. Stay tuned at
http://www.tacticalforums.com for details.

Email me at
maddog@maddogknives.net
to get on the list.

[Edited by MAD DOG on 02-28-2001 at 03:01 PM]

Mad Dog

How about it?

How about producing some TFL logo 1911 grips for your compadres here?

Would cost be prohibitive?

That would depend on several things:

"Cost prohibitive " is relative to quantity, quality, and desire. So is "affordable".

Is black and white camera ready artwork available?
Is it free of halftones? (need high contrast)
How many pairs are desired?
Who will front the money to get the laser engraving artwork done?
(Not me)

Answers, anyone?
Basically, if there are fifty or more on the want list, it starts to become "affordable"...

If we could get the cost down to around 60 bucks, I'd be glad to pay up front.

I know the laser engraving costs are much more than that, but if we could get a number of members involved, who knows?

Anybody else?

Back