Process Time: LGS FFL Transfer

BarryLee

I’m considering ordering a gun online and having it shipped to a local FFL. The supplier will ship the gun the day I order it via Second Day Air, so no issue there. My question is how long does it usual take the LGS to process the gun once they receive it. I’ve heard horror stories about people having to wait a week to get the gun from the LGS.

So, just curious what is a reasonable amount of time? For instance if the FFL receives the gun on a Monday afternoon when should they have it available for pickup?

BarryLee said:
My question is how long does it usual take the LGS to process the gun once they receive it.
There is no possible way to predict this and give a generic answer. Every LGS is different; it basically boils down to their workload and how efficient thay are at processing incoming shipments.

The only thing you can do is ask the appropriate person at the LGS what he/she would anticipate. This may be highly time-sensitive; for instance, if they're very slow, you may be able to retrieve the gun the same afternoon, but if they're expecting 5 different shipments totaling ~200 guns around the same time and they've only got 2 employees, kindly understand that it may take them a while to find yours and log it in. :)

I think a lot of it has to do with State laws dealing with holding periods. I know here in Alabama there is no holding period. I pick it up either the day my FFL receives it or the next day depending on time of day it arrives.

My FFL receives it and calls me on the phone. I go to his place and fill out the paper work for the background check. He calls it in. I pay the FFL fee and out the door and headed home within about 15 minutes. :)

Last edited:
lamarw said:
I think a lot of it has to do with State laws dealing with holding periods.
Potentially, but the OP's profile says he is in ATL i.e. GA, where there are no state-mandated waiting periods.

My questions, first does YOUR local store know the gun is coming? Second, why not ask them how long instead of us? If you haven't contacted the LGS you are having it shipped to they may refuse the shipment

Where I get transfers, it takes about 30 minutes by the time all is said and done. Showing up, opening the box, checking it over, filling out the form, calling it in, paying the man.

We used to have a LGS that was a one man operation. His transfer fee was $0 and he would call you the second the gun came in so you could get it out of the way. After the 2012 gunpanic died down he closed his shop and went back to a job.

Now for transfers I go to one of the shops in the city. The lowest fee I could find was $20 and they have no idea when stuff come in or what to do with when it comes in. The last time I shipped one to that shop when I came to pick up they had unpacked it and placed it on the shelf where it was being pawed by everyone.

:mad:

So now I have to pay $35 at a different shop. So it depends....

The last time I shipped one to that shop when I came to pick up they had unpacked it and placed it on the shelf where it was being pawed by everyone.

Maybe there is some form of communication breakdown, because I CALL my LGS (a one man shop) and tell him what is coming in, from who, and what it is so what you're describing doesn't happen.

Back