Procedure question - How do I move my Kimber front sight.

Warm Bore

Hello all,

I'm getting some pretty awesome groups from my Kimber Custom Classic lately. Unfortunately they are all about 2" left and 2" low. I can live with the two inches low but the 2" left is a problem for me. How do I move my front sight to compensate for this? What's the best procedure? Front and rear sights are both fixed.

Thanks and regards,

Warm Bore

You would have to loosen the screw on the rear sight of your kimber (I believe it's a small allen screw) and than drift it in the dovetail right or left. I believe you may have the front and rear sights turned around. The front sight is that at the muzzle end and the rear sight is at the back of the pistol closest to you. About all you can do with the front sight is lower it by filing it down, drifting it right or left will serve practically no useful purpose that I can think of. Making it lower will make your pistol shoot higher and vice versa. In any event, make sure you acquire a proper set of drift punches, before tackling the rear sight, these should be brass to prevent marring either the slide or the site and if you are at all doubtful about the procedure, it is best to take it to somebody who has experience with such things. Marring the slide with some missplaced punch strokes is sure to reduce the value of your pistol almost instantly.

When I got my kimber classic it also shot low and left. I put duct tape on the top of the slide to protect it and filed the front sight a little, shot from a rest, filed some more till I got it right. I couldn't get the rear sight to budge so I took it to a smith who had a sight pusher and told him how much it was shooting left. He moved it and it came out right on the money.

Alex,

You are correct. Initially I was thinking that the front sight adjustment would accomplish the same thing as the rear sight. However, in thinking on it the rear sight would need to be moved relatively much less since it's closer to your eye. Makes sense.

Regards,

Warm Bore

Save yourself some aggravation and heartache. Find someone with a sight pusher tool. Kimber sights fit very, very tightly in their dovetails. You will have an extremely difficult time getting it to move in small, precise increments, if you get it to move at all.

After that warning, if you are still of the mindset to try, I would suggest a piece of leather between the sight and the brass punch. Good luck.

Regards,
Frank

If someone absolutely has to move their front sight, the easiest way is to bend your wrist in the desired direction. :D

Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

Back