• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Problems with edit function

Walt Sherrill

Over the past week or so, when I go in to make a minor change to a post I've just made, the EDIT mode doesn't show the message that I just entered. (It appears in a flash and then disappears.)

Is there some setting that I've accidentally turned on, or is something else going on.

I tend to make typos when I post, and generally go back in and clean them up when I miss them. Can't do it, right now...

I'm 99% certain that will turn out to be a browser problem. Have you changed any pop-up protection parameters? Changed any Java/JavaScript or Ajax parameters?

Can you try a different browser to see if it still fails?

I've been using Mozilla and have switched to IE for this. No problem this way.

But, that said, I'm not having problems with the same software on other sites.

Strange.

---

I just signed on with Mozilla. In edit mode, the text was missing, again. I looked for different functions. When I clicked the LEFT ARROW, just above the [INSERT IMAGE] icon, above, the text reappeared. (The next to last control in the line of controls starting with the REMOVE TEXT FORMATING symbol in the text box area, above.)

Even more strange.

I know how to get it back -- but not why it went away...

Last edited:
Very strange! It's as if your delete key is stuck down for that operation only.

The arrow that brought the text back is the Undo key. See if the Firefox Edit->Undo does the same thing (or Ctrl + z).

It's a Firefox issue only.

At least I know how to fix it -- but not why it is a continuing issue with this site only. (If it were a Browser issue, you'd expect it to be a problem with other sites that seem to be using the same software. It isn't.)

(I should have hovered over the arrow to see what it's called. I haven't figured out a practical use for the REDO key, yet. <grin>)

That sounds like a javascript issue.

Do you have any Firefox extensions that might be interfering with, altering, or selectively blocking javascript? Firewall software -- norton, comodo, etc? Anything like that?

If you restart Firefox with addons disabled (it's an option under the help menu), and try logging into tfl and editing a post, does the problem go away?

Last edited:
Back