Problems with Astra model 200

Alex Johnson

I recently purchased an Astra Model 200 which looks like a pretty good clone of the Colt Pocket pistols chambered for 25 auto. I've been shooting it with Blazer ammo and suddenly started having problems with it. The slide is locking up when it slams home. The only way you can get the slide to work is to push it back with a brass punch (I've been damm careful to check that there was nothing in the chamber when I've done this little manuver). It only seems to be sticking for the first 3/8" of travel and than it works fine. It still fires fine (as it seems the cartridge delivers sufficient pressure to unstick the slide (though I don't think I'll shoot it anymore until I work out this problem). I dismantled the pistol and it funtions fine when the barrel isn't in place. I can't see any rub spots on the barrel and I've checked the extractor for intereference and come up empty handed. I honestly am stumped by this problem. I am coming to the conclusion that I have a problem with the spring, but it doesn't seem to support the fact that the slide works fine when the barrel isn't in place. Anybody have any ideas?

Alex, without actually examining the pistol I can't diagnose this one. I recommend you take it to your local smith. If you don't have anyone near you, e-mail me. I'd be happy to check it out for you. George

Hi, Alex,

A thought. With the slide off, try locking the barrel in to the frame like it would be when the pistol is fully assembled. Then check the barrel lugs for any protrusion to the side. If the barrel lugs are not seating fully they can interfere with the slide.

The 200 Astra is not a copy of the old Colt and Browning since it is a hammer gun and those were striker fired. Still, it is a pretty good little gun. Astra also made a .25 caliber Model 2000 Cub that was also sold as the Colt Junior; it was also made in .22 short.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited April 27, 2000).]

Back