Problems With Adjusting Windage Browning BL-22

jtacoma

Inactive
Hello all, I am new to the forums and have a question. I just bought a used Browning BL-22 lever action and I am having trouble adjusting the windage with the dovetail rear sight. It does not want to budge at all. I have adjusted other sights like this before with little difficulty but this particular one won't move. I tried tapping it with a punch and put a cloth between and only managed to put a few small marks on the sight and it still wouldn't budge. I am frustrated and out of ideas as to how to move the sight. Is there a correct procedure of how to do this or any tricks I could use? I do not want to damage the gun with more mistakes and impatience. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for the help.

It's rear sight is windage-adjustable via drifting, as you've correctly chosen - but some dovetails are tightly fitted, indeed.

I can sympathize with you, having damaged the side of a Grade II BL-22's forend wood from improperly whacking away at the sight, when I was about 30 years younger.

I've since learned that it's best to:

1) Mark the sight's present position, so you'll see how far it moves - best done via applying a dab of masking tape on the barrel in front or back of the sight & making a pencil mark at the sight's edge.

2) Make sure the rifle is held solidly against the hammer blows - not handheld - a padded vise is best, but a strong assistant holding the rifle on a solid table/bench can work.

3) Use a heavy hammer - one that will impart enough energy to move the sight.

4) Use a SOLID drift, like a brass hinge pin from an interior household door hinge - the brass will leave removeable marks on the harder steel.
A steel punch is not wide enough for a drift, and since it's too hard, will always damage the sight, w/o sight movement.

5) Hold the drift pin solidly against the sight - then hit it with the hammer HARD - like it owed you money.
Little love taps will get you nowhere.

6) Remember to drift the sight "out" towards the EJ port (RH) side, and "in" using the opposite direction, should you remove it.

Thank you very much for the help. I managed to find a brass drift pin. I had someone hold the gun very tight and I hit the pin much harder than before. Unfortunately, it did not move at all and the brass pin put another small dent on the sight. I am dissapointed that I keep doing that. It shouldn't be that hard of a thing to do. I am wondering if the previous owner put epoxy on the sight.

Back