• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

problems getting on?

WAGCEVP

Hey guys,
I got a friend who's been trying to get on TFL for for a few days now.... Getting back server problems? I have no problem getting on , what's up?

"I joined the firingline and they locked me out. I didn't even get to
post. The webmaster told me that it was a software problem in some
software they bought, but my username and password don't work. I keep
getting a message that the administrator has locked me out, but he says
it's a software problem...for over a month now."

This is what he's getting?
==
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "The Firing Line User Manager" <webmaster@thefiringline.com>
>Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 7:56 PM
>Subject: Your login details for The Firing Line
>
>
>> Your account at http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/ is active. Here
>are your login details for our bulletin board.
>>
>> Username =
>> Password =
>> Don't forget that they are case sensitive!
>>
>>
>>
>> Yours,
>> The Firing Line team
>>
>

Have your friend go here first: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/member.php?action=lostpw

This will confirm the username and password that they are registered under. I know they've probably done this already, but just to be sure, do it again.

The most important line in that message is: "Don't forget that they are case sensitive!"

If they still can't post, be sure that cookies are turned on and that they are not going through an anonymizer program. Many of these programs automatically disable friendly cookies.

If they still can't get on, have them email the webmaster for some custom help.

Good Luck!

-Dave

Back