Problem with Ruger .45LC Rev

7out

Inactive
I cleaned this pistol yesterday,when I was finished I attempted to replace the cylinder. The rod that goes through the center of the cylinder would not budge. Can anyone out there help? This is a new model blackhawk made in 1974. Thanks in advance, JW

Sounds to me like the cylinder is not quite line up. Try it with the loading gate open and jiggle the cylinder and rod a bit. That should do it.
Paul B.

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't too clear, but the cylinder is off of the gun. I have done this same procedure probably 100 times when cleaning it and now the rod will not budge. I'm gonna feel like a real dumb ass if I have to take it to a smith to get it fixed. Help!

One step at a time: The cylinder is out of the frame, in your hot little hand. The pin is partially removed from the frame, not completely out of it, and is stuck, unmoving for either push-pull or rotation?

Art

is the pin or rod bent in one spot?I droped a Ruger BH .44
on its side on hard asphalt and bent the rod just enough to
make it hard to remove, and no I didn't drop for a test

A few possibilities. Dirt can get into the hole and the pin just won't move under normal pressure. It is also possible that the pin is in at an angle or that the cylinder pin catch is in too far and binding the pin. Did you remove the catch? You really should not need to.

If the catch is not the problem, I can only suggest brute force. If you have a vise, pad the jaws with copper (pennies will do, even though they are now zinc) and clamp the pin in, then tap the frame with a wood or soft mallet. If still no luck, post again and we will try to help.

Jim

Thanks for everyones help. I called Ruger this am and they told me exactly what was wrong. The center pin has a notch on it that has to be flush with the bottom of the barrel. If it is not then it won't budge. After turning it to the proper position with a pair of vise grips it works like a charm.

Back