Problem with new 686

Silent-1

I just purchased a new 4" 686-5. I've put about 100 rounds of 158gr 357 through it. I love the gun and it is more accurate than I am.

The problem is that the cylinder locks up, it won't rotate or open. It seems like the firing pin gets stuck in the primer and won't release. This has happened about ten times in the 100rds I've shot.

Have you heard of this before?

Thanks

Silent-1,

If your hammer is staying forward and not reseting, it sounds like you may have a week trigger return spring. Swapping out the return spring for a lighter one is common to try to get a lighter double action trigger pull.

www.gunsprings.com or www.brownells.com both carry a full line of replacement springs.

Of course, it could be something a simple as the gun needing a good action cleaning and re-lube.

Good Luck...

Joe

It could be anything from ammo to a problem with the gun.
I'd recommend trying a different brand/weight of ammo. If it still gives problems, save the grief, return it to the factory.

It sounds like it's a timing problem. Only 100 rds of what ever shouldn't matter a bit. Take it to a smith or to the dealer that you bought it from.....

Firing pin in frame ?
Could be firing pin return spring. Or firing pin is binding due to a machining problem.

Most definately should go to dealer if he is authorized Smith dealer, or direct to S&W.

After discussin the problem with S&W customer service, they should send you a FedEx pick-up order. You send it to them on their nickle.

Not rotating could be from zero lube from the factory, have seen that lately. But not opening either indicates the firing pin is hanging up.

Keep us posted.

Sam

My 686 did that same perplexing thing a few times during the first couple hundred rounds. Couldn't pull the trigger, the hammer, or open the cylinder. After an hour or two rest, it would work again. Now it never jams, and I'm over 2K rounds through it. I only shoot cast bullet reloads.

My 686 (bought in '94) did that same perplexing thing a few times during the first couple hundred rounds. Couldn't pull the trigger, the hammer, or open the cylinder. After an hour or two rest, it would work again. Now it never jams, and I'm over 2K rounds through it. I only shoot cast bullet reloads.

If you have feeler gauges, check the barrel-cylinder gap. It should be .006 or maybe a tad more. If much less, the cylinder could be binding as it heats up, which will lock the cylinder until the gun cools. And yes, 100 rounds will do it.

Jim

Back