Problem with my Glock 29?

OF

Howdy all,

I was out at the range last weekend and a funny thing happened. I was shooting my (fairly new, ~400 rnds or so) M29 10mm and all of the sudden I felt unburned powder/crud hit my face. I stopped shooting and looked at the weapon. Looked good. I put it down and noticed what looked like minor powder burns on my hands wherever there was a gap in the gun (eg. the slide-to-frame junction): along the inside of my weak-hand thumb (I use a thumb-forward grip), on the 'top' of my tigger finger, and on both palms where they wrap around the magazine/mag well at the base for the grip. I do not remember any particular differences in recoil or sound for that round...not that there wasn't something strange, I just can't say for sure. Nothing dramatic anyway.

A little water took off all the black gunk except along the inside of my weak-hand thumb (which was laying at the slide-frame junction on the left side of the gun, right underneath the caliber markings on the slide). There, the unburned powder was actually embedded slightly in my skin.

After a closer inspection of the gun, it appears to be in great shape...no noticable anything as far as I can see, looks just like normal.

I have a call in to Glock to talk with someone there and get an idea of what might have happened. What do you folks think? Out-of-battery detonation is my guess. What's the consensus? Gun problem? Freak happening? Ammo? I'm not planning on taking it out again until I get a better idea of what went down. Not that we are necessarily going to figure it out here, but I'd like to hear some ideas or similar experiences, if any.

BTW, I was shooting Georgia-Arms 180gr 10mm rated at ~1100fps. I had already put, maybe, ~150 rounds of this ammo through the gun that day before the incident. I have shot several cases of GA ammo overall (although not in this gun, and not in 10mm), and have found it to be excellent, consistent and very well-manufactured.

- gabe

PS: Just another example: WEAR YOUR EYE PROTECTION! If I hadn't had my glasses on, I'd have had that hot powder on my corneas and not just my cheeks.

What did the casing look like? Was it ruptured or did the primer blow out? The casing will tell you more by looking at it than the condition of the gun.

I didn't find the specific case, as far as I could tell. It was outdoors, and we were swimming in brass by the time this happened. I cleaned up well at the end of the session, then sorted a bunch of brass when I got home, so either the case was indistiguishable from a normal case (at a glance) or I missed it and it's out on the range somewhere -unfortunately...good point about the case, wish I had it.

- gabe

It sounds like you had the shell casing rupture. Another possibility is a loose primer pocket but I doubt that it would cause the type of damage you described. If the shell casing ruptured it could have been an overload. Was this ammo loaded with new brass? If it was remanufactured the brass could have been weakened in the web area from previous firings. Make sure you check the empty brass you brought back for a halfmoon shape in the area of the web of the case. Unfortunately you really need the fired shell casing that caused the damage.

Well, I went through the 10mm brass last night and I think I found it. There's a case with a long crack running lengthwise from a spot about 3/16" above the extractor groove to about a 1/16" below the mouth. It's a little less than 1/32" wide. And you're right, the primer is in place and looks fine.

I'll send the case back to Georgia-Arms and see what they have to add to this. I believe the 'canned heat' loads at G-A are remanufactured. Thanks for your help, M16. Greatly appreciated.

- gabe

Its the ammo.

I had the same thing happen with a 9mm Commander recently.

Normally, I would reccomend factory ammo,especially in the high preasure stuff,but when I do I get flamed.

And you are aright on about eye protection. Glad you werent injured.

I agree, it's the ammo, probably more specifically the brass. I had a similar problem a couple years ago with some Cor Bon loads that used Starline brass. I sent the casings in to Glock with my guns (G20 & G29), Cor Bon and Starline. Starline gave me basically a shoulder shrug, Glock was great - checked the chambers and sent the guns back with two extra magazines (no charge) and Cor Bon replaced all 5, 50 rd boxes of the ammo for me that I bought, no charge. I'd even fired off a box and half of the stuff, but they replaced that too!

Yup, I'm a loyal Cor Bon customer thanks to Terry Murbach.

Tom

Back