problem with Hamilton No27 22cal

workinwifdakids

I have a 22 caliber Hamilton (No. 27), and there is a problem with the action/fire control mechanisms. I have disassembled the rifle to it's basic components, and - as before I touched it - the hammer will not drop. In other words, there's no forward "force" to push the hammer into the firing pin.

Does anyone own a Hamilton who can walk me through this? Thank you! It would mean a lot to me, as I inherited this from my grandfather.

//cross posted to Holden's area//

The Hamilton was what was once called a "Cloverleaf" rifle, not because of some physical feature, but because they were commonly offered as prizes to boys who sold a certain amount of Cloverleaf Salve.

Yours apparently has a broken or missing mainspring (hammer spring). Parts are not available and unless the gun is in near-new shape it is probably not worth having a gunsmith repair it. There was once little information on those guns, but they have acquired a mild collector interest and the very few found in top shape can bring a couple of hundred dollars. But most, as we have seen, were used by youngsters when shooting was a common boys' sport and the guns, not well made to begin with, were rarely given good care and simply wore out.

There is a book, by Jim Perkins, titled "American Boys' Rifles, 1880-1945" that has Hamilton information, but I don't know if it is in print.

BTW, they were made for .22 Short and .22 Long. Modern .22 Long Rifle ammo should not be fired in them.

Jim

I did a search for a schematic, normally Numrich would have one you could buy for a buck or two but no got. Google not much help either. Looks like you will have to find the book recommended above.

hamilton

Jim: your not old enuf to remember clover leaf.
and the barrels were made by rolling sheet steel in to a tube with abronze rifled liner,I am old enuf to have had a few.dont shoot it.:rolleyes:

Back