Problem with Glock

branrot

I have a Glock 23 with one problem: the mags won't drop free when they are empty. Now, a few things. I use 13 round full metal lined factory drop free mags. I have 5 of them which I purchased from at least 3 different sources, so I know it's not the actual mags. The mags drop free when fully or partially loaded (the weight from the ammo helps). It simply appears that the mag well is a little tight. I don't want to do the work myself, so my question is: should I send it to Glock? How is their customer service? How long will it take? Will they charge me? If so, how much?

It's properly the mag's....

Are those original Glock mag's? Are they pretty used-up or new? All Glock mag should drop free when unloaded. Compare the "trouble" mag with a good mag. Pay attention to any bulging on the "trouble" mag no matter how small it appear to be.
As for service, it depends on where you live. Last time I lost the back plate for my 19. I went to their office (I live in Atlanta). They simply gave me a replacement w/o any question or charge. From other response I saw, Glock seems to have very good customer service. If the gun require extensive fix, they will hold the gun (unless you are a LEO, then you can wait while they fix it) and FeDex to you in about two weeks.
Good luck

The Glock was never made to have drop free mags. This was an upgrade to accomodate American desires.
That said,
give your mags a chance to wear in. As you insert the mags try and feel where the ruff spots are and smooth them out a bit with some fine sand paper or a dremmel tool. Mine drop free but when empty sometimes need a little motivation. A quick shake and the mag drops.
Some put weighted floor plates on their mags but that mainly for competition.

Whatabout K-Y? :D

LeeDesert's right... Glocks did NOT originally have drop-free mags, and there are still plenty of them around that won't drop free.

there's no such thing as a Glock drop-free magazine. there are only FML and NFML mags. the FML mags drop free a lot of the time but aren't guarenteed to drop free, they just have a full metal lining. a lot of the time any type of pre-ban full-cap mag won't drop free from a 3rd generation glock.

To clear up:

1. All mags are full metal lined.
2. All mags are factory mags.
3. I'm pretty sure it's not the mags. I've tried different mags from different sources. Thus, I've decided that it's the mag well that is tight, not the mags. While I wouldn't mind sanding a mag, I don't want to mess with the gun's frame.
4. The mags are in good shape. None of them have any substantial wear and tear. Just some normal wear and tear from normal use.

That being said, if I send the gun to Glock, will I be happy with the service in the sense of time and workmanship?

It is the gun and not the mags. I know this because I have 2 Glock 22's. One is 1992 manufacture, and one is 1998 manufacture. With FML preban hicaps the 1998 drops them like a champ and the 1992 isnt even close. In the beginning Glock designed their pistols around the non-drop-free European military model. After they decided to make the mags drop free to make Americans happy, they did two things. They FMLed their mags so that they didnt swell as much when loaded, and they ever so slightly increased the size of the magwell. I would guess that your Glock 23 is not of very recent manufacture. I would not recommend changing anything on the gun, but learn to live with the fact that your gun will never reliably drop free any glock magazines. Glocks still rule!

Just give it a jerk

I'm in the habit of simply giving the gun a little jerk when I press the mag release.
I don't even think about it anymore...

Modoc

There is nothing wrong with your gun so why would you send it in? Glock can't fix it if it ain't broke. The simplest thing to do is to sand and smooth your mags. It is a tight mag well but sanding the mag is a lot easier then the magwell. In about 10 minutes a mag you can fix the problem woth no money spent.
The term drop free is a term we created to seperate the two styles. Glock calls them FML's and their design was to help the mag drop easier, not jump out of the gun like a competition race gun.

I realize your desire to have Glock fix a perceived problem but trust me, while Glocks customer service is excellent, sometimes the path of least resistance is the best.

Spray some Armor All in your mags well and on your mags.

That will make them drop free. But some do swell even if they are supposed to be drop free.

There's one more trick here. Take a fully loaded mag, and jam it in the gun backwards. Leave it for several days, and it will strecth the frame out just a bit, sometimes it will give your drop free results. Me? I just got in the habit of ripping the mags out. That's why the 1st gen models have that u shaped notch in the frame.

Back