problem about Remington 700

vince weng

I am new to bolt action rifles. I got a Remington 700 rifle recently. The bolt stop release (right in front of the trigger) doesn't always work. After I dry fire, sometimes I can extract the entire bolt out of the rifle. Do you have this happened to you? Was that nomal or that just happened on my rifle?

What is the best way to store your bolt action rifles when they are not used for a long period of time? Do you remove the bolt or just leave the bolt in the rifle? Do you dry fire first when you store the rifle or just leave the bolt cocked?

I do not like to dry fire my rifles . I decock by holding the bolt handle in the up position and pulling the trigger , then you can lower the bolt handle which eases the firing pin forward . You may have some dirt binding up your bolt release which makes it stick sometimes . I leave the bolts in my rifles . Good luck , Mike...

My 700 has done the same thing since I bought it in 1980. What I do, is when I replace the bolt, I hook the release with my fingernail and pull it back out. It was always stiff and ragged feeling. I leave the bolt in when I store it, and raise the bolt handle and pull the trigger while slowly closing the bolt. Dry fire? I sometimes dry fire about 100 times a day as hunting season approaches. It hasn't hurt the gun yet. However I would not dry fire say a Winchester 94. Firing pins break on those. I think most bolt action rifle of modern manufacture are safe to dry fire. Just my opinion.
Paul B.

Sounds like the bolt release is sticking. You may want to separate the action from the stock and hit it with solvent to remove any residue. Then lightly with a quality gun oil.

Paul B uses the same technique as do I for releasing the tension on a cocked gun. It's also useful for virtually any semiautomatic rifle.

Concerning dry firing, go ahead. The folks at the Remington factory told me that it won't hurt the 700.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Back