Private Sale of Rifle

DEC

I am thinking about selling my bolt action rifle. Do I have to go through an FFL or NICS? I don't want to get my butt in trouble. I know all handguns need an FFL transfer, but I'm not sure about rifles. Thanks for any information.

Under Federal law, the direct face-to-face transfer of a firearm (including a handgun) needs to go through a dealer only if the transfer is across state lines (seller is a resident of one state and buyer is a resident of another), or if state law requires it. Note it doesn't matter where the transfer takes place; the legal residence of the parties involved is what counts. The current federal law and use of NICS applies only to transfers by FFL holders, not to non-licensees. Clinton wants that changed, but it has not been as of now.

If the firearm transfer is not a direct face-to-face sale, that is, it is by parcel service or to someone from out of state, it must be handled by a dealer. Whether rifle, pistol or whatever. Long guns can be shipped by a dealer to another dealer by mail; handguns must go UPS, FedEx, etc.

Ask your local dealer to let you see his copies of the BATF regulations and state law. Better, write to BATF and to your state AG and get copies.

Remember to check your state laws. In Maryland, for example, handgun and "assault rifle" transfers have to go through a dealer; other rifles and shotguns do not.

Back