Private Party Transfer?

DaveInTX

Inactive
There is a possibility that I might purchase a handgun from a co-worker, and I'm interested in insuring that I follow the letter of the law with transfering it. There's no paper trail on this gun, as he bought it cash from another private party he met at a gun show. We're in Texas, if that makes any difference, but is a simple bill of sale sufficient to cover me in purchasing this weapon? Must we use a FFL to transfer it? If we must use an FFL, will there be any problem with the lack of documentation on the gun?

Thanks for any assistance!

- Dave

Hi Dave,

I can't comment on Texas law, and as laws do vary from state to state, you should probably check into this pretty carefully. One of the best places to go on the 'net for state firearm related laws is: http://www.nraila.org/research/statelaws .

I know that in Ohio, it would be no problem, just like selling any other personal posession. Check the above link to be sure for yourself though.

Good luck

------------------
RKBA!

"The people have the right to bear arms for their defense and security"
Ohio Constitution, Article I, Section 4
Concealed Carry is illegal in Ohio.
Ohioans for Concealed Carry Website

Dave,
I'm in Texas also, and there would be absolutely no problem transfering ownership like that. In Texas, you may sell firearms at a garage sale if you want. No questions asked, no paperwork. I have bought them there before. If you really want to find out about laws regarding firearms in Texas get the book: The Texas Gun Owners Guide by Alan Korwin, Bloomfield Press. It is approved by the Department of Public Safety, and is used in Concealed Carry classes across the state. You are fortunate to be livin' here in the Land of milk, honey and gunpowder.

In SC we can sell privately also.

However, my question is: Is there any way a private individual can search a database with the guns serial number to confirm that the gun is in fact "legal".

I have bought several at gun shows and always get a bill of sale with the sellers name (assuming he gives me correct information). Would hate to try to trade or sale one I bought from individual and find that I have a hot one.

JD45,

Here in Texas, if you take the serial number to local law enforcement and tell them that you are considering purchasing the weapon and would like to make sure it isn't hot, they will run it through TCIC/NCIC for you.

LawDog

Back