Private handgun purchase in Texas while on vacation?

Ace_Breaker

Can a person legally purchase a firearm in Texas while on vacation from out of state? I know that it is not legal to purchase a firearm from a dealer then leave state. I did have a person tell me that a private purchase on a used gun is fine. Does anyone know? Some great deals in Texas, but I want to be completely legal in any handgun purchase. I've had some say that it would be impossible to track, but I don't want to skirt the system. This would be good information in case I find something nice on my trip. Thanks in advance.

Can a person legally purchase a firearm in Texas while on vacation from out of state?

No.

You must be a resident of the state to take delivery of a handgun in that state.

You could purchase the gun and have it shipped to an FFL in your home state.

Can a person legally purchase a firearm in Texas while on vacation from out of state?

No.

You must be a resident of the state to take delivery of a handgun in that state.

You could purchase the gun and have it shipped to an FFL in your home state.
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b2
(B2) From whom may an unlicensed person acquire a firearm under the GCA?

A person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State, except that he or she may purchase or otherwise acquire a rifle or shotgun, in person, at a licensee's premises in any State, provided the sale complies with State laws applicable in the State of sale and the State where the purchaser resides. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and (5), 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.29 and 478.30]

Thanks for the information. I was hoping to go to a gun show while on vacation. I've seen some great deals at the Texas shows. If I find something I like I'll just have it shipped to my FFL. Thanks again.

If you are very friendly with an FFL they may be willing to give you the signed copy of the license to have the gun shipped.

brickeyee said:
If you are very friendly with an FFL they may be willing to give you the signed copy of the license to have the gun shipped.

Unless the FFL is the sort that refuses to do transfers, he'll give you the copy. It's not a big deal to make a copy and sign it. When I had my FFL I had 10 or 20 of them ready to go at aany given time ready to mail out.

There is only a dozen or so States whos residents are not allowed to purchase firearms in Texas.

So, the mith posted above may not be true. It just depends on which state you are a resident of.
Even legal aliens from Canada can purchase firearms in Texas.

Easiest method of finding out whether you can or not, is to call a Walmart that sells guns, in the state you are going to be vacationing in.
Why Walmart?
Becasue Walmart is more strict than on firearm sales than just following the ATF guidlines and laws concerning them.

I can remember three states residents, off-hand, that I know cannot purchase firearms in Texas.
Illinois,
Florida,
And California.

I no longer work for Walmart, so I can't be more specific about states, other than what my memory tells me.

Back