Printing in SC

Keltyke

Does anyone know the official (like an AG opinion) position in SC concerning "printing"? It isn't addressed at all in the SC Gun Laws. My instructor said as long as there was "an effort to conceal" made, but he didn't say who said that.

Keityke -

I think what you are referring to is the law against brandishing a weapon. Remember that SC is not an open carry state, and the only way a gun can be carried is concealed with a CWP. It is a close call, but if you are printing and a case can be made that it is not unintentional, you could be charged for brandishing. Suggestion, be careful and don't let it show.

SC Code 23-21-210

(6) "Concealable weapon" means a firearm having a length of less than twelve inches measured along its greatest dimension that must be carried in a manner that is hidden from public view in normal wear of clothing except when needed for self-defense, defense of others, and the protection of real or personal property.

You may be printing but it is still hidden from view. The above is the only thing I have ever heard on the definition. The AG has stated that carry in a purse or case such as a brief case meets the law but have never heard any real discussion on printing in SC.

Last edited:
Dumb question, but what is printing?

Not dumb at all. "Printing" is when the outline, or partial outline, of the gun shows through the covering garment. Some states allow it, some don't. In SC, all it states is that the gun must be "concealed".

Hope this helps.

That's what I told the wife. We were on here together. Thanks for the info. I'm just glad I don't have to recant.

Don't know about the AG's opinion, we can't even get him to

say what the new states are that S.C. recognizes CWPs.

But, I was taught in my class that printing is okay.

say what the new states are that S.C. recognizes CWPs.
SC has opened their reciprocity a LOT. Check http://www.handgunlaw.us/ for the new list.
But, I was taught in my class that printing is okay.
That's right, but it didn't used to be. I was told long as there is an "effort to conceal", which eliminates problems with a chance exposure by the wind or bending over, it's ok.

Of course all of this depends on the situation....

it would be most prudent to conceal as much as possible and not have to deal with a debate with an LEO or some store manager....

Where exactly is the new list at handgunlaw.us? It all looked the same to me...

the folks I've discussed this with have not been able to get an answer from the AG.... they you to SLED... I did get a reasonable and quick response from Florida... which said that SLED had requested Floridas specs in June and as soon as S.C. officially recognized Floridas 'resident' permit then Florida would give reciprocity.

Back