Primer Ignition Problems

don leo

My buddy and I shoot a Colt Python .357 and S&W Performance Center 627 8-shot .357 respectively and we've both been experiencing primer ignition problems with factory loads (blazers, lawman) and our own reloads). The problem is usually in double action firing for the both of us (every 2-3 shots) and sometimes even in single action mode.

(1) There's a "strain screw" on the front of my grip strap of the PC627 that screws into the mainspring of the revolver. Will tightening this "strain screw" increase the weight of the double action pull and solve the problem ? What is the purpose of this "strain screw" ?

(2) My friend has replaced (by himself albeit) the firing pin, firing pin spring, and mainspring of the Colt Python, and problems still persist. Any one have any suggestions ? We though it may have been deep primer pockets in our reloads but the problem exists even with factory ammo...

Yes, tightening the strain screw will increase the tension on the mainspring. It may have backed out enough to cause the light hits.

On the Python, you might try a new mainspring. One can still be ordered from Brownell's for about $9.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

Yes tighten the strain ccrew on your Smith&Wesson and shhot it again before you try anything else. As for the Colt Python be careful. Somr Pythons do not do well on a steady diet of .357 Magnum ammunition.

Try cleaning under the star.Make sure there is no crud or oil.Otherwise it looks as if
you will need to put more tension on your
hammer spring.Since the same problem occurs in single action mode its likely that the
problem is not with the spring.When you do
the star,give the rest of the gun a good
clean too.Make sure the cylinder spins freely
--good luck

Back