Pricing on 870LW Express

Bruce Dane

I’m a relatively new shooter (about a year) and loving it! So far only handguns and rifles but I’m getting ready to buy my first shotgun and need a reality check on pricing and quality. The gun is a Remington 20 ga. Model 870LW Express. It appears to be in excellent condition, blued finish in good shape and no dents or dings anywhere on the wood. The barrel looks nice and clean and, as near as I can tell, so does the action. Price is $375.00. Is this in the right ballpark? Also, how is the quality and reliability of the 870 Express? Thanks in advance for any advice and counsel.

By the way, this is my first post on TFL but I’ve enjoyed looking in for quite some time. I think this is by far the best forum going for firearms-related issues and a great place for a newbie like me to learn a lot!

The LW models have some non interchangable parts with the standard models,and the price is a bit on the high side, IMO. Upside, it's darn near impossible to wear an 870 out.

The 20 ga Express models have a matte finish, same great design,and are priced lower than this one.

I agree with the others. That price is high. I just bought a "like-new" 870 express magnum 20 gauge on gunbroker.com for $210.00. When I received it, it was unfired but missing mag plug, choke wrench, and manual. A great little brother to my Vang Comp 870 12 gauge.
I suggest waiting till you can find the exepress magnum version. I think it is more versatile becuase you can shoot both 2 3/4 inch and 3 inch magnum shells. The LW or wingmaster models are for 2 3/4 inch only.
Watch www.gunbroker.com and also www.auctionarms.com for these models. They are regularly on there for under $300.00 new as long as you don't mind buying over the internet.

[This message has been edited by Robe (edited July 26, 2000).]

Back