Price range on S&W 627 5

PugetSound5

Hi. I've been shopping around and pricing this gun is a bit confusing (either that or I've been looking in the wrong places). Best price I have seen for a new gun is from a Maryland dealer on the Internet: $795. With shipping and FFL fees that comes to about $850 then.

I see a few used and mostly new pieces on the auction sites, but prices range from $800 and up. And these are not even firm prices, we are talking auctions here and many of these are from dealers (fishing for suckers?). However, the bidding does not seem very active at these prices (duh! because they price them at new retail prices?). But this makes it tough to figure out the real price range. Or is this the "real" price range?

So I'd like to hear from owners of that model (I'm also interested in the 625 PC same config). I'd like an opinion on new/used prices of course, but also on the factory triggers. I have read conflicting opinions on this. Some seem to feel that they are really nice right out of the box, but some felt that they are factory-"Clintonized" and needed some adjustment.

Please, note that I am not insensitive to the S&W political situation. Once I am confident on the going price range, I want to shop locally first. I'd rather do business with a local gun shop, for all kind of good reasons, but I have been quoted rather high prices so far (notably a used 627 PC 3" barrel for $750 but I was not interested in that anyway). I am also well aware of the Taurus 608 as a serious alternative although the Smith is the gun that I really want.

Thanks in advance for opinions and advice,

CC

The average price (street) for any 627 from the Performance Center will set you back $750-$850 a pop. They are not fishing for suckers! Dealer cost for the reincarnation of the 627 Hunter is $725 (cost has gone up almost 10-13% since last summer) and that's US green backs that I'm talking about. Now, there are some six shot 627's that predate the Performance Center that are selling for about $500 (maybe even less) and come with a five inch full lugged barrel and unfluted cylinder. There are also other configurations that predate the Performance Center, but the one I mentioned seems to be the most popular.

Robert

PS5,

Prices have probably gone up since last August, but at that time dealer cost for a 627 PC was $675. Add on an average of a 10% bump for your local dealer and about $25 for shipping. FYI: dealer price can vary based on volume.

A local dealer here in Omaha has a slightly used one for an asking price of $850. It's had a professional trigger job, extra gas ports installed along side the front sight, and a beer can sized red dot scope mounted.

I bought the 625 PC V-comp and passed on the 627 PC. Yes, the PC triggers are nice, and yes they are heavier than they used to be. Nothing a simple swap of springs (especially the rebound) won't take care of.

Good Luck...

Joe

Careful on the Full Lug 627

That one ,IMHO, is very brrl heavy. I opted for the 627 PC
with the 'slant lug' 5 inch brrl.(ROBTtheMAG has the 6 1/2
I believe) I'm very pleased and it shoots like a lazer ! ....dewey

Thanks all for the excellent info. It is much useful and appreciated.

RobertTMF41, by "fishing for suckers" I was referring to the practice of dealers--not private sellers--who are auctioning these models at a starting bids equal or even slightly higher than the average retail price (see GunsAmerica.com and ForTheHunt.com for several examples of this). They have most of these started at $800+.

So why would someone bid at auction when one can get the same piece at retail with no difficulty for the same price and from a gun shop? This is what prompted me to assume--and I may well be wrong, I have been before-- :-) that some dealers are fishing for uninformed buyers (me?)who are willing to bid a few bucks extra. If the gun was used or in really short supply, then I'd look at an auction price differently of course.

This said, I have a far better idea of the price now, so I can shop for it locally. This is definitely on my shopping list within the next 3 months or so. Thanks again

CC

Dewey, that's a lug!

S&W627hunter.JPG

Robert

PugetSound5

You would be surprised on how flexible those auction prices are. Just got to take your time and play the game. Yes, some of those guys are on crack (or whatever. Lets put it this way, the sky ain't the same color in their world.). Last auction I bid on was a used gun just like you see above, but chambered in 45 Colt and fluted cylinder. Seller had a minimum of six and a half time after time just to get into the game. He finally conceded and sold me the gun for my high bid. Saving me lots of money. Just remember when bidding that no one is in it to lose money. Be realistic. And, they got the gun you want and your dealer doesn't. He also may not be able to get one for you, because they are limited run guns. Once they are sold out, they may or may not go back into production.

Robert

Heck, I just paid $20 for mine. Well that and another $25 membership in ICORE.

At the International Revolver Championship they give away a 627 PC (the V-comp the last two years) for new member raffle, an standing member raffle, for the person signing up the most new members during the year. In 1999 I put $20 in the raffle and got the 627 PC. I wasn't even an entrant that year.

Competition winnings or raffles at the IRC is great way for boycotters to pick up a new S&W while remaining true to their priciples--all proceeds go to supporting the competition! Last year they handed out 5 627 PCs, about 40 other revolvers and several non-S&W firearms.

627 PC 5" V-Comp

<Heck, I just paid $20 for mine. Well that and another $25 membership in ICORE.>

Yaozah! Guy, I'll take a dozen at that price :-) I've heard about ICORE before and I had looked their web site up. I'm not up to these shooting standards yet but it's on my list.

And Robert, re: the auction stuff, are you saying that you sometimes contact the dealers with an offer lower than the opening bid that they have posted on the auction site? Would make a lot of sense when the price is out of whack. Oh, and that picture that you posted, I want one of those too :-)

PS5

PugetSound5

A little insight on the gun business. There is little profit in new firearms. The new gun business is based strictly on volume. As my friend Joe already mentioned, 10% is about all new guns are marked up. Items like Performance Center product are only marked up about $75, any higher and the dealer is not being sensible and should be avoided. Some of the more competitive manufactures like Glock, mark up is even less. Things like dark guns are being dumped and used as lost leaders, anyone paying over $50 over dealer cost for a AR style rifle is insane. Don't try to deal too much on a new firearms, its usually pointless.

Now used is a whole new ball game. It is buy or trade low and sell high. The more a store can squeeze on a trade or buy, the more profit there is for the store. In many cases that margin is as high as 100 to 150 percent profit and higher. Usually when an FFL is auctioning a used firearm, those profits are already built in. Right now the gun business is taking a nosedive and these dealers have to eat and pay for that roof over their heads. You can go about it two ways. Place your high bid for a gun and contact the seller after the auction with your high bid (they may even contact you with an offer). Or, just contact the seller and make a reasonable offer. You have nothing to lose. Worst they can say is no. Have sold tons of used firearms at Auction Arms in the past year and most of the horse trading was done outside the Auction. Reasonable offers always gets sellers attention or at least the serious ones.

It's sometimes a difficult concept to fathom when you desire something today, but this business of guns is like hunting or fly fishing. You have to take it slow and one step at a time. Part of the fun is the horse trading. Some deals will crash and burn, others will result with an heirloom in your safe and a story on how you came into possession of such a fine piece.

Robert

[Edited by Robert the41MagFan on 05-23-2001 at 04:20 AM]

...and then SOMETIMES new can be

purchased at used prices. Recently I picked up a NIB S&W .44Mtn.Gun for $450. Some folks buy a new one and then trade it in after they chage there mind. WISH they would change there mind more often !(Got it off one of the major auction brds.)... dewey

Thanks

Robert and Dewey, thanks for the buying tips. I plan to buy a few good pieces in the near future and all of this will come in real handy.

PS5

Back