Price query, Colt SA Army

Steelharp

Question, folks. A friend of mine has a Colt Single Action Army, blue, ivory grips, that he's had for more than 20 years. It has never been fired. Any idea on what its' ball park worth might be?

Thanks, Mikey

Welcome, Steelharp. We need a lot more information. Was this gun new 20 yrs ago or is it older (which "generation" is it)? Barrel length? Caliber? Got the box and papers? Although unfired, is it really crisp, unturned, and new? Serial number? Engraving? Anything other info you can think of will help.
Could be $1000, could be $10,000.

Folks, I have more info; I have the gun here in my hand. Serial # 574XXSA, barrel is 4 3/4", says "COLT SINGLE ACTION ARMY .45" on side of barrel. Top of barrel says, "COLT'S PT FA MFG CO HARTFORD CT U.S.A." Pearl grips, looks to be brand new. Even looks like it's barely been turned. Not sure about what generation, but believe it's older than the 20 years I know about. Perhaps the serial # will be a clue? None of the screws look to be buggered in any way. The metal back of the grip looks to have a few slight rust spots; it's been held, at least. No box, no papers; just a magnificent looking gun. Hope this helps.

Mikey

Looks to me like it is a Mid-range 2nd Generation. Mfg from 1965-1973. Was available in three calibers...45 Long Colt, .44 spec and .357mag. Several barrel lengths, 4 3/4 brings a premium.

What cal is it ? Makes a difference in pricing. Depending on caliber and exact condition, should run tween just under a grand to around 1,300. Or whatever somebody wants to pay for it.

Sam

Hi, folks... been out of town the past couple days. C.R., it says ".45" on it, so I would assume it's a .45? Doesn't say anything about Long or not, but if it wasn't available in standard .45, it must be the Long Colt.

Mikey

It is .45 Colt. (.45 Long Colt is a bit of a misnomer).

I'm no Colt collector, but C.R. Sam's price range sounds about right. Up towards the higher end of the range if it comes with the original box and papers.

M1911

Steelharp, if you trust your friend, then that $1,000 to $1300 range seems about right, although the rust spot would put it closer to the low end. If you don't trust your friend for some reason, I have an excellent book that details everything that you should find on a 2nd generation SAA. Which numbers on different parts should be what, and so on. If you're interested, email me or just post some questions here and I 'll look it up.

Back