Price opinions on a DW mod 15?

PugetSound5

I have spotted a Dan Wesson model 15, blue. Apparently in very good shape with excellent finish. Nice wood grips. Complete with tools and 3 heavy barrels (6, 4 and 2"). They got the case also apparently. Gun looks very clean on the picture. They are asking $400.

I am planning on the purchase of a Smith PC627, but I have also been thinking that I'd like a second, good used (but not cheap) training/plinking gun, and this DW is attractive with the multiple barrels and all. But it's a used piece and on the other hand, I could get a new Taurus 308 for about the same price. Anyway, I think well of the DW guns and I sure wouldn't mind owning one (or 5 :D ).

Bottom line: if you were making an offer on that piece, how much would you offer to start the ball rolling and what would be a fair ballpark price? What questions should I be asking the seller (it's via Internet)?

All opinions welcome and thanks in advance for the advice,

PS5

I had a Wesson many years ago and it was very accurate and a great gun. Traded it for a stainless Ruger. Offer 300 and see what happens.

I've had a Dan Wesson 15-2 for several years. Great gun, that gives up very little in comparision to my S&W revolvers.

With the extra barrels and case, $400 is a fair price. I'd offer something closer to $300 and see if you can negotiate are really great deal.

Good Luck...

Joe

First question to ask is where was it made. If its a Monson Mass. or new mfg from New York $400 is fair as long as its in good shape. $300 to $350 makes it a deal you can't refuse. If it was manufactured in Palmer Mass you should ask for a 3 day examination/return if possible. Most of the problem Dan's (and they were few) came from out of the Palmer Mass era.
That said snag that puppy. You'll love it. Accuracy is first rate, and as it's built on a .357 frame your not going to wear it out.
Take Care

Good point! I didn't ask about the manufacturing location... Too late, I bought the gun :) It's an out-of-state purchase from a dealer, and he has mentioned that there is a 3 days return policy if I don't like it so it is a good sign. He has test-fired it and tells me that the condition is 95-98% but he doesn't have the history of the piece.

And on the Wesson web site, they say that when the previous Wesson companies went belly-up, records were surrendered to the ATF and that therefore the new company can't track down the years of manufacture of guns produced by the old companies.

Anyway, I bought it for $375 including shipping, which really makes it about $350 I figure. From what I have been told on this list and after trying to do my homework on it looked like it was a fair price for a piece in good condition. Now only time and a few boxes of ammo will tell :D

I'll keep you posted...
PS5

Puget,

You did tell that out-of-state dealer to ship it to my address in OH, didn't you? ;)

You got a heck of a deal! The basic DW goes for $250-300 around here. Add the extra barrels and the case and you're looking at $400-450 easy. Go to a local gun show, or try ordering a 8" barrel for yours. It doesn't even have to be a Heavy Barrel. Try it, you'll like it!

They're incredibly accurate, stronger than heck, and mine has a trigger pull better than a *&*.

Go to a local gun show, or try ordering a 8" barrel for yours. It doesn't even have to be a Heavy Barrel. Try it, you'll like it!

Sounds like a good idea. I don't think that I'll have a use for the 2" barrel, but 8" might be fun :) I hope the gun is as good as you say. I intend to put mileage on it. I really need the practice. :D

Thanks to all of you for the much appreciated tips,

PS5

Back